Please sign in to post.

Greece itinerary?---

Hello, experienced Greece travelers! We have two weeks (5/8 am- 5/22 am) to spend in Greece in mid-May and want to make the most of our time but with minimal hotel changes. Our list of must-sees are these: Athens and the historical sites, Delphi, Hydra, Nafplio/Mycenae/Epidavros and Santorini (or whichever of the Cyclade islands are most representative)... Would love your thoughts on a time effective itinerary--which will hopefully include best travel options between each point. Thanks so much!

Posted by
3320 posts

The FIRST rule for efficient itinerary, minimizing backtracking is NOT to go into Athens 2x, wastes precious hours, and since you will need to be in Athens (or a hotel near airport) the night BEFORE your homebound flight --- it makes sense to do Athens LAST. Other reasons (1) more fun to get over jet lag on an island and (2) when you've been "in country" for 9-10 days, you'll be hip to Greek ways of doing things & equipped to tackle a large modern city and (3) when y ou've visited ancient sites, soaked up some history, the famous Athens landmarks & museum treasures will resonate SO much more. Ok Athens Last. Here's a basic Scenario

DAY 1 - ASAP connect to flight to SANTORINI (50 mins vs 8-9 hrs ferry). Yes, $$$ but time is money too. It's All about the Famous Caldera View, so stay near the rim (I recommend Firostephani -- it's walkable to Fira Town, easy busride to famous Oia, but it is bypassed by bus tours & HUUUGE cruise crowds, so it's serene day & night). Santorini is costly & not "representative" so enjoy the view, avoid the throngs, and after 2 nights, take a 10:45 Champion Jet fast ferry or a 3:15 Blue Star regular ferry (both have open decks for pix-taking on departure) to y our Next Island ----

DAY 3 -- NAXOS or PAROS - both have history, beaches, nightlife, not mobbed in May, Naxos has more dramatic inland landscapes (mountains, marble, many hillside villages), but it's up to YOU to do homework & decide -- we can advise, but not substitute for your own research effort. Either one is worth staying 4 full days!

DAY 7?8? -- Fly in AM to ATH Airport (ferries eat up a precious day -- UNLESS you take the evening Blue Star 6 or 7pm - midnight). If you Fly, u can rent car @ Airport and drive 2.5 hours on Greeces' MOST modern intercity road to NAFPLIO, best base for your Ancient-Sites "Ruin-o-Rama". To minimize backtracking, save Epidaurus for your departure day, and hit it in the AM, en route back to ATHENS.... try to arrive ATH hotel by afternoon Sat 5/18, latest since you leave on 5/22 & Athens NEED at least 3 days... plan what you need/want to see & judge accordingly.

HYDRA -- I would skip it this trip -- R. Steves books/programs etc always Plug Hydra because it's on his tours, or it's an easy daytrip for his tours that are all-mainland, so people can say they've done an island... but if you hit 2 Cycladic isles as above, Hydra will not be a biggie for you.

Posted by
3320 posts

OOOPS! I overlooked Delphi! In that case, I would say -- FLY to NAXOS, and just do a day-trip to Santorini, if you want to say you've seen it (all your cruise-ship friends will say Did u See Santorini?) ... that way you save a day & a half ... thus, when you fly back to ATH airport, and drive to Nafplio, on way BACK, you can hang a LEft, after re-crossing the Corinth Canal & go to delphi late afternoon. Check into a hotel, see the museum at 5 or 6 pm (it wil be EMPTY), and nex morning at 8 AM, enter the ruins site. You'll have 2+ hours before the bus-tours invade, plenty of time to enjoy site. THen drive back to ATH as before. You can either drop car at Airport & take a X95 bus OR the Metro to your Central Athens Hotel.

Posted by
11180 posts

I would decide on just one island experience, given your available time and desire to minimize hotel changes.

Posted by
3320 posts

Joe, that is what I was suggesting .... just stay on NAXOS ... and do a day-trip to Santorini on the HM Alexander... no change of hotel.