Please sign in to post.

Greece itinerary

Just wanted at least to get some thoughts: I understand this is probably a tight itinerary, but probably late for me to change now. Will probably plan a more relaxed itinerary next time.
We are 2 Adults, 2 Kids (12 & 10).

Day 1: Landing Athens 2AM, Flight to Santorini 5AM; land in Santorini around 6AM...
- Still unclear how much time it takes to get through immigration/customs in Athens and if there is a possibility to freshen up before the Santorini flight.
- Still unclear what we will do in Santorini at 6AM...but we have a rental car and I have requested our lodging there to see how early they can check-us in. We could store luggage and possibly freshen up there...
Explore Santorini - Fira to Oia hike, relax at hotel/explore Oia, dinner at Kastroia restaurant/sunset
Day 2: Akritori, Red beach, Monastery of Profitis Ilias. Late night flight to Athens
Day 3: We will have a rental car. Leave Athens for Delphi. After Delphi, leave for Meteora. Stay in Meteora.
Day 4: Meteora / Monastries
Day 5: Finish up in Meteora, Drive to Olympia. Stay in Olympia
Day 6: Finish Olympia, drive to Nafplio. Stay in Nafplio
Day 7: Finish Nafplio, possibly finish Epidavros/Mycanea on way to Athens. Stay in Athens.
Day 8: Athens
Day 9: Athens
Day 10: Depart.

Thanks!

Posted by
532 posts

I can't address the merit of your itinerary but only have a question about your car rental upon arrival at 6am in Santorini. I'm assuming you're picking the car up at the airport. Are you sure it's open that early?

Also, consider renting the room in Santorini starting the night before. That way, when you arrive, you can check right in; no bag storage, no waiting till the usual 2 or 3 pm check in time.

Posted by
11179 posts

Day 1: Landing Athens 2AM

Arriving from where?

Posted by
1157 posts

I think you are trying to do to much in the time you have.

Going through customs is rather quick and you'll have time to "freshen up" at the airport before your flight to Santorini.

Your first day there could be quite exhausting as you'll arrive after a long flight, depending on where you are flying from. You have 2 days planned for Santorini then you are off to Athens then drive to Delphi and then head for Meteora. It's a long drive.

Then you'll be driving to Olympia (another long drive) for 2 days then a drive to Nafplio for 2 days, then drive back to Athens for days 7, 8, & 9. Three days in Athens is good.

You may want to eliminate a destination and spend more time in the others.

Every time you travel, especially driving eats up valuable time which takes away from the time you have at a destination.

Quality is more important than quantity.

Posted by
3 posts

@Peter - Thank you. Yes, I had considered getting accommodation the night before in Santorini...will look into that and the car rental.

@joe32F - flying in from New York.

@tommyk5 - Thanks. Yes, I guess you are right. Quality is surely more important than quantity. I will probably reconsider some of these stops. I could have eased up this itinerary a bit, if I had skipped Meteora - but having heard so much - that was one place I really tried to fit in.

Posted by
2498 posts

I would suggest you arrange transportation ahead of time to your hotel on santorini and not rent a car. The roads are more challenging than you might think and you will be exhausted. We had a shared van that we arranged ahead of time and was very glad to not be driving after an over night flight.

We hiked from Oia to Fira and then took bus back to Oia where we were staying. I am guessing you are staying in Fira as you are going from Fira to Oia. We did the hike the second day after we arrived and it was a great way to get over jet lag. I am not sure all of our group could managed it the day we arrived but maybe with a short nap first.

We rented a car the second full day we were there and went to many of the places you are intending. The rental car place let us return car at ferry and I would guess the same for airport so you might check into that (even though we rented in town).

Posted by
3320 posts

You give no clue as to what datesyou are going, and yes it really DOES matter. Santorini is best visited between Fri - Mon, because M-T-W-TH are the days when the huge monstercruise ships invade and create jam-pack conditions in OIA & Fira between 10 - 4pm. If you are unfortunately co-occupying with cruise mobs, we can suggest evasive action. Also, dates matter in Nafplio... actually it's better during the week because Athenians pour in on weekends. In addition, if you are traveling during the week that includes August 15, (Greece's BIGGEST summer holiday, #2 holiday of entire year) -- you may have some real challenges in hotel bookings, car booking, traffic, ferry ticket etc. Are you aware of this? Any problem with sharing specifics?

Posted by
3 posts

@BethFL - Thanks so much for the tips.

@janet - last week of June/early Jul. Even in early July, it was difficult getting reasonably priced hotels in Athens. The others places were not that bad..