Please sign in to post.

Greece in Spring

What did you ladies use most on a May trip in Greece. I get cold easily, but am I silly to pack a coat or jacket? Did you find yourself layering a lot or was it already pretty warm?

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't get cold easily and have only been in Greece in earlier spring (or later fall) months, but I would say: already pretty warm = yes, and layering instead of a heavier coat = yes, that's a safe rule at almost any time. A "jacket" meaning a light rain jacket is always a good layer to include. You'll probably peel off a layer by lunchtime, and another if you're hiking or in an unshaded spot, etc.

Posted by
3320 posts

Kathy, as it is anywhere, LAYERING is the secret. I've been to Greece as early as May 8 or so, and as always I take a cotton cardigan AND a waterproof waist-length windbreaker (either tan or navy, to work as a basic neutral jacket -- not those longer, flared "Easter Egg" colors that are all too available -- more like a man's golf jacket). Early in the month, before 9 am and starting at sunset, the cardigan feels good, at least over the shoulders. On a blustery ferry ride, if sitting on deck the windbreaker is handy. I only recall wearing both of them together on one occasion, on a rare rainy night in Chania Crete. Instead of guessing, use Google! I think you'll find that weather, if normal (and who knows what normal is these days!) in Mid-May is heaven itself. 70 in the AM, rising to about 82-84 in afternoon, going down to about 70 after sunset, mid-;60s in wee hours.

Posted by
2499 posts

I went mid May and took two 3/4 length sleeves cardigans. One was more generous than the other so could be worn together but only did that on overnight flight from U.S. over.

There was one breezy day on Naxos that I wore a sweater but generally did not except in the evenings.