Please sign in to post.

Greece in September

I will be travelling with my wife and adult daughter to Greece in September. We will be arriving midday in Athens. We have 8 days to explore. We love exploring scenery, architecture, museums. I am still at the early stage of planning, except the start and end dates are set.
So far, I am sure that I want to go to Santorini, Athens & Delphi. I would like to include another island and would like your suggestion.

thanks
Sundar

Posted by
15582 posts

Do you really have 8 days? Don't count the day you arrive and unless your flight out is at night, don't count the day you leave. Are you flying out of Athens? You'll use about 1/2 day to get to Santorini and another 1/2 day back. I wouldn't think it was worth it unless you have at least 3 nights there (2 days for sightseeing). Delphi is a long drive from Athens, even if you leave really early to avoid the very slow moving city traffic. Athens has plenty of sights to fill 4-5 full days. I suggest you'll have a better experience if you limit yourselves to Athens, Santorini, and either a long day trip, or an overnight, to Delphi.

Posted by
11507 posts

With only 8 days the three places are more than enough!!

Posted by
11179 posts

For the time you have, you do not need another destination.

Look at what there is to see/do at the 3 you have already listed and I suspect you will not have 'extra' time on your hands.

Posted by
1157 posts

With only 8 days I would limit myself to Athens (3 days) and one island (5 days). There are numerous other islands besides Santorini which is the most popular, heavily touristed and expensive of the Greek Islands. However, the scenery is suppose to be spectacular but you should go to Greece for more than pretty sunsets.

However, Athens & Santorini will work with Athens at the end of your trip if possible.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks everyone for replying. I have full 8 days not including the day I am arriving or leaving. I want to reach Santorini on the day I arrive.
I will check to see what is in Athens and Santorini that interest us...we are definitely not the relaxing type and want to keep moving. That's why I thought I might be able to get to another island.

1. Regarding Delphi, any day trip tour that you could recommend?
  2. I am checking the flights to Santorini on the day we arrive. Any experience with Sky Express airlines...I see they have cheaper fares compared to other airlines at the time I am looking at. Is it too soon to buy or should I wait for a while?

Thank you
Sundar

Posted by
2497 posts

We are flying to Santorini right after arriving like you are proposing in May. We are spending three nights and then ferrying to Naxos. Both Naxos and Paros are realistic possibilities for another island.

You could do:
Santorini 3 nights (2 full days and part of third day to transport)
Naxos or Paros two nights (you could fly or ferry out in evening giving you one part of day when you arrive, one full day and most of another day)
athens 4 nights with trip to Delphi (2 full days in Athens and day trip to Delphi)

If you want to add a second island, I would consider dropping day trip to Delphi and add that day to the second island.

Beth

Posted by
3320 posts

YOu should check more than the price on Sky Express, and you will see that it is Not a bargain. They are small planes, and you are only allowed one small bag to carry on, plus a handbag or laptop -- and by "small bag" I do not mean a 20" rollaboard -- I mean something like a gym bag, that would weigh no more than about 15 lb. If you have a standard 20 or 22" suitcase it must be checked and can cost you $50. Read the small print.

If y ou are flying on the right day, you might get an Aegean "Promotional price" to Santorini if you are lucky. Go to the website https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/book-a-flight/ and tick the box +/1 7 days. You'll see a week's worth of flights. The lower prices ae usually 7 am or sometimes 9 pm or later however, so if you want midday you must pay the piper. And no, it's not too early to book a flight IF you'll arrive on a popular day for working folks -- Sat. or Sunday... because many will want those midday flights. If you book the "semi-flex" fare, you'd be able to change to another flight without penalty.