Please sign in to post.

Greece in September

We are 4 adults going to Greece from Sept 16 to Oct 6. We are starting our trip on Crete Island and finishing in Athens. Of course we want to see other islands. We were thinking 2 to 3 nights in Santorini, we would like to see Mykonos but not stay there (may be as a day trip from another island). We are now doing research for our itinerary and Ferries.

1) Is it better to book Ferries in advance or we can just go ahead and wait there to book.

2) Do you recommend staying in one more centralized island and day trip or hopping island to island (with time to visit between them) and to get in Athens at the end of this for the last 5 nights (we would take a 2 days excursion to the Meteora while in Athens)

3) If it makes sense to stay on one or two islands beside Santorini and Crete, what would they be. We would have 7 nights to spend and make our way back to Athens. What Island did YOU like and why?

We are interested in good food, laid back places, nice scenery, sunsets, scrolling down villages, architecture, history, etc....we like everything everywhere we go!!!

Posted by
11192 posts

Look at Naxos and Paros for a more Greek experience. Two nights is enough on over touristed Santorini, a cruise ship stop.
Crete is very large. I suggest focusing on the western side, staying in beautiful and historic Chania.

Posted by
1229 posts

I recommend reading about the islands, and then figure out if they make sense given your trajectory and considering ferry routes. This website offers some specific descriptions:

http://www.greecetravel.com/greek-islands.htm

As you will be there for 20 days, and you are already staying in 3 places (Athens, Crete, Santorini), I would pick one more place to stay and then explore other islands as is feasible with ferries.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks,
I think that's my problem READ!!!! I am reading so much about islands that we can't decide! that's why I was asking about what Island did YOU like and why!!!

Posted by
313 posts

If you are interested in spending some downtime on a beach, Mykonos has nice sandy beaches with crystal clear water. The island is not a pretty island. Very desert like. Not much vegetation. It has some good restaurants, but pricey. We were there last year third week in September. Weather was great. I would not spend more then 2/3 nights.

Posted by
3961 posts

We were in the Greek Islands mid September following the RS Greece Tour. We spent 4 nights in Santorini (Firostefani) away from the cruise ships. We enjoyed a guided tour of the island that included Akrotiri. 3 nights would have been fine. We agree, if you want to enjoy the Greek experience look at Naxos. We spent 6 nights there and loved it. You might consider a day trip to Mykonos & Delos. Although we were in Greece a month, we didn't have time for Paros or Crete. Saving that for next time.

Posted by
3321 posts

chantal you say you are reading too much .... is it all reading on your computer, or have you looked at any guidebooks? The problem with relying solely on online info is that websites exist to promote a place... they show all the highlights but never mention any drawbacks, (such as the fact that the island they are promoting is waaaay far from other ones -- or that it is very seasonal, and had a "closing-down" feeling in September) ... nor do they compare with other islands ... Guidebooks on the other hand must be more candid, and help you to work out an itinerary. Don't be afraid of books, and you don't even have to buy them; go over to a good library and there will be a shelf-full. Browse and pick a few you like best. It doesn't matter if not the newest edition, y ou're not picking them for the latest hotel & dinner prices, you want the overview. I guarantee you will be able to clarify your wishes with more information like this, not just WWW "eye candy."

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you all.
Janet, it's so funny because all I read is books! I have guidebooks all over my bookshelfs from all my trips. The reason I say that I read too much is that it makes me want to go everywhere because all seem appealing to me!
to help me decide, I wanted to know from people with experience about ferries, do we need to book in advance or is it OK to wait and if it's easy to do day trips by staying in a centralized island and go from there.

Posted by
1229 posts

Chantal, I can't recommend islands bc Im going this summer. One way I made my choices (we are visiting Athens, Peloponnese, Crete, Santorini and Naxos ... but Athens for just one day ... in a month) is by looking at youtube videos! I was really interested in a particular island off-the-beaten-path, but then watched a video of it and it didn't look like what I am after, so I ditched it. I do feel like Ive chosen very on-the-beaten-path options, but of course they are beaten because they are appealing. I do think Naxos is well situated to take a day trip to Paros if you want, and its big enough that maybe its possible to find some isolated spots (away from the tourist crush, which is always my preference), especially in September. You can't go wrong. Your list of interests is found everywhere ;)
As for ferries, I booked in advance because i don't want to worry about not getting tickets for the 5 of us, even though I have been told on this forum that I could get them at the port the day of or day before. In your case (I am going in July), I would think you could get them the day of, so its more about personal preference.
That said, my tickets are 100% refundable up to 14 days before the trip, and I just used that feature by changing my ticket on one of my rides (canceled one trip, bought another) to change times (which involved taking a ferry with a different company). I used the OpenSeas website to find ferry schedules... we are ferrying from Crete to Sant, Sant to Naxos, and Naxos to Athens (Pir.)
Best, jessica

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you very much,
It's helpful! I am leaning towards Naxos and have day trips from there.

Posted by
3321 posts

Good for you chantal, and since u have 3 weeks you can do quite a bit. How many days "On the Ground" (don't count departure day, and only arrival day as 1/2 if you arrive @ 9 or 10am). Is it 19? Then you could fly to Chania, spend 5 days in Crete ending in Heraklion, AM ferry to Santorini for 2.5 days, ferry to Naxos for 5 days/nights (including maybe the las day going to Paros or Antiparos) ... save 5 days at end for Athens (including Meteora trip) ... that leaves 2.5 days.

My suggestion for that would be -- FLY from Naxos (or Paros) back to ATH, in AM, pick up car at Airport and drive just 2.5 hrs on modern highway to the Gem of the Peloponnese -- Nafplio. While many islands empty out by end of Sept, Nafplio is vibrant ... it's a favorite getaway for savvy Athenians, and has everything on your wish list .... history, architecture, antiquities, scenery, villages, wine harvest fetes, THE best sunset in Greece, fab food ... the Works!

This superb NONcommercial website, by a Norwegian expat, tells all -- http://www.visitnafplio.com ... here are great pix too: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632094108982/ I know that RS regulars may get tired of me always recommending this place... but let's face it, it is super for near the end of trip, no worries about transport back from isles, and Greeks consider it the most beautiful Old Town in all of Greece. If u were planning to do the Meteora thing on your own instead of a guided tour, you could do that either before or after Nafplio.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks Janet,
We are flying in Chania.
I really like your idea, and I will certainly pay a closer look at Nafplio you make it sound something we can't miss!

Posted by
106 posts

Janet's suggestion is exactly what I had in mind! Go for it... Meteora is one of kind destination, even Greeks get astounded when they see it :) Very relaxing place with great energy. When in Athens don't forget to take a day-trip to Sounio and gaze the Aegean Sea from the Temple of Poseidon <3 Nafplio is an all-time favourite and has plenty of sight-seeing around as well. Palamidi Fortress, Bourtzi Fortress, Church of Agios Spiridon, Archaological Museum, Folklore Museum, Mycenae, Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, Ancient Tyrins, Syntagma Square (yeap you can find that in Nafplio too!!). Might also consider wine tasting in Nemea. Regarding the islands I usually choose Paros or Naxos as my base and then start hopping around :) Favourite islands in the Cyclades Amorgos & Milos <3 When you are island hopping have in mind that you need 2-3 days for each island, otherwise it will get rather tiring.

Posted by
1376 posts

Chania is lovely. It's old town and Venetian harbour makes you feel as if you stepped back in time. I would encourage you to stay in the old town. We always stay on or near Theotokopoulou street. Its a pedestrian only with shops mini m,arts and tavernas as well as hotels in every price range. It is also just far enough back from the harbour that it is quiet at night for sleeping.
Day trips from Chania. The balos/ Gramovossa boat excursion from Kissamos. Two good beaches plus a 14th century pirate fortress.
Ancient Aptera. 5,000 years of civilizations strewn over a mountain top. Don't miss a stroll through the Roman cisterns.
Perhaps take a day trip to visit the Fortezza at Rethymnon.
You will probably want to do at least one night in Heraklion before the ferry to Santorini. The central area and Venetian harbour are interesting and the newly opened Venetian Castillo is well worth a visit.
Western Crete http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632115757899/

Aptera images 38-62 Balos Gramovossa images 79-106
Chania http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632117917828/

Theotokopoulou St area http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632118491316/
Rethymnon https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157654700502270
Heraklion https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157655935354556

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks everyone,
We are starting to have a plan! We will probably stay in Naxos as our base island and we'll probably include Nafplio (thanks Janet).
I have one more question, we would also like to go to Milos but I am having a hard time figure out the ferry. When I look at the map, I think it would make sense that we do Milos right after Crete but can't find a ferry. Would Santorini be the only option to go to Milos?

Posted by
3321 posts

Chantal, as to your Milos question -- yes, Santorini is the only good llink to Milos that time of year ... remember, late september is getting into off-season. I think you're getting too ambitious with the "wish-list" unless you have a Magic Carpet. Remember, you also want somehow to fit in Meteora, the Nafplio /Argolid area, and Athens for at least 3 days. Tell you what: get out a Box calendar (box for each date) and see now it works out: I'm assuming you arrive Sept 16 in ATH airport from Montreal on that AM plane, and connect to a Midday flight to Chania. Lets take it from there:
Sept 16 thru Sept 21 (4.5 days, 5 nights) CRETE, ending in Heraklion, for AM ferry to Santorini
Sept 22-23- 24 - SANTORINI (2.5 days, 3 nights -- next AM ferry to Naxos)
Sept 25-26-27-28-29 NAXOS (4.5 days - including perhaps 1-day excursion boat to DELOS/MYKONOS) Next day AM flight to ATH
Sept. 30 - early plane 7:25 arr 8:10? 11:40-arr 12:25?? Rental car to NAFPLIO, stop @ Nemea en route
Oct 1 - 2 - 3 Nafplio/Argolid visit Mycenae, Tiryns, & on 10/3 drive back to ATH, stop @ Epidaurus & Corinth Canal
Oct 4 - 5 - ATHENS famous landmarks!! Acropolis, Agora, Acrop Museum, Nat ArchMuseum, Temple of Zeus etc et etc
Oct 6 - DEPARTURE DAY
.... I don't see how y ou can squeeze in Meteora, which takes a minimum of 2 full days even if you drive... if you take the 1-day train excursion you'll only see 1 monastery inside, they close at 3 pm. And I don't see how Milos is a possibility.

You will be able to see 4 famous islands (one of which is actually a country to itself), plus the area (Argolid) with the MOST sites of ancient history, plus a 2,500 year old city a world capital ... and all in 3 weeks. Save the rest for your next trip!

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks so much Janet,
Here's what I got, I fly from Montreal directly to Chania arriving on Sept 17.
Sept 17 thru Sept 21 (3.5 days 4 nights) Crete ending Heraklion
Sept 22-23-24 Santorini (2.5 days 3 nights)
Ferry to Naxos
Sept 25-26-27-28-29 Naxos (4.5 days 5 nights and 1 day boat excursion to Delos/Mykonos)
Fly very early morning to Athens, rent a car and drive to Nafplio stop on the way to Nemea
Sept 30- Oct 1- Oct 2 Nafplio
Drive back to Athens
Oct 3-4-5-6 Athens (we will take one night excursion to Meteora/Delphi)
Oct 7 Fly back to Montreal
I can't tell my daughter that we would be leaving out both Milos and Meteora........it doesn't really matter if we have a bit less time in Athens, with what we saw about Nafplio I think we'll be good.
Thanks again,
Chantal

Posted by
3321 posts

Good to see you are embracing reality, chantal ... you are seeing plenty already! Tell your daughter that you tried to rent a Magic Carpet but the agency was all out of them. She can save Milos for her NEXT trip. Hey! I didn't get around to Greece until my 60s, so she'll be way ahead of me...

Posted by
1376 posts

I am pretty sure there is no flight Montreal to Chania. You can do Montreal Athens to Chania. A bit nick picky I know but one needs to be accurate.

Posted by
20 posts

You are right! What I meant is that I wasn't lending in Athens and then take a ferry. Our flights are Mtl-Brussels-Chania

Posted by
31 posts

One island that often gets overlooked is Hydra. We were there last September and it was fantastic. We also went to Nafplio on RS tour. It was one of my favorite towns.

Santorini on the other hand it way too crowded. The cruise ships are there nonstop. We stayed in Oia for a week and the best times were early in the day or late in the afternoon when the passengers went back to the cruise ships. We flew to Santorini from athens so I don't know much about ferries. We did take one from Hydra to Athens but it only took an hour. Enjoy your time in Greece.

Posted by
8 posts

I'll second the Naxos suggestion. Absolutely amazing: views, sunsets, food, and the great people. A very chill island.

Posted by
985 posts

Look at my itinerary I posted a few minutes ago in another thread. Start with my last or second to last supposed itinerary I posted in the thread. Figure out a way to add Santorini and Meteora to the itinerary. If you like museums less than I do, subtract some of them. Change the itinerary around some more until it feels satisfying - it is fine if the final itinerary ends up very different than mine, you are using starting with my itinerary as a planning exercise not as suggestions of what to do even if there is overlap in what we both want to do in Greece - and then post it and we'll see how it looks. I am going to Greece in October too.