Please sign in to post.

Greece in October?

I'm trying to plan a trip for me and my 70 year old mother frin the 17th of October to the 27th. Neither one of us have ever been to Greece. I know October is already the end of the season but I wanted to know if it's still worth visiting? I'm not a party go-er and I don't need to spend my days at the beach or at a beach party. I love sightseeing and eating good authentic food. With that being said, is there anything that you guys can recommend? We'd be flying in from NYC. Thanks!

Posted by
1157 posts

I've been going to Greece every October since 2010 and from my experience it's a great time to go.

The weather is still mild without the heat of summer, less tourists, lower costs for accommodations and more than enough open to keep you happy.

Just because one travels off season doesn't mean Greece shuts down. They'll always be shops, markets and tavernas open for locals which may give you a more "Greek" experience rather than a tourist season.

Does the 17-27 include travel time or the full time in Greece.

With your time frame I would do Athens and 1 island, maybe two if they are close to each other.

Lots to consider but October is my favorite time to be in Greece.

Posted by
5 posts

@tommyk5 - the 17th - 27th would be our full time in Greece. My biggest concerns from what people were telling me was that ferry service is limited, less cabs, restaurants, etc. But if you're saying you've been going during October for as long as you have that helps a lot. Thank you. Which islands would you recommend?

Posted by
1157 posts

Athens deserves a minimum of 2 days with 3 better. There's more to Athens than just the tourist sites.

Most people recommend saving Athens for the end of your trip if possible.

You could do 2 islands with the remaining time as long as they are on the same ferry run and close together.

There are numerous islands but you may want to consider some of the larger ones that have more services that time of year.

Many people recommend Naxos which you can combine with Paros. Both have airports or you can ferry to them and to each other.

Crete is a huge island and would fill up your entire time before Athens. Lots to see, do and experience and since it's the most southern Greek island weather tends to be better especially for late October.

It would beneficial if you rent a car on Crete or even any island as bus service tends to be limited with reduced schedules but if you are flexible and plan ahead you can use a bus but won't be able to go to the more traditional and out of the way areas which sometimes offer more than the touristed areas.

The Cyclades Islands are the ones most people think about as they are the most hyped but there are other island groups that are just as good.

I would recommend more research on islands and make sure if you want two islands you can get to them easily from one another.

Check out this website for Greek Islands:
https://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/

Posted by
1375 posts

The ferry service is reduced in late October but there are still ferries on the main routes. There certainly are ferries on Paros to Naxos route as late as the 26 October.
Every ferry hop you make will use up at least a half day for the transfer because you are at the mercy of the ferry schedules.
All that to say you will not have a problem island hopping into late October unless of course there is a period of bad weather which can happen any time.

Many people have Santorini as a bucket list destination. It certainly is spectacular but also expensive but crowds will be reduced in late October. You may want to fly to Santorini after your flight arrives in Athens. Most transatlantic flights arrive Athens at mid day so you have lots of time to find a connecting flight to Santorini. Santorini and Naxos are wonderful companion islands. You get the spectaular views on Santorini and with a 2 hour ferry hop to Naxos you will get an authentic Greek experience at less than half the price of Santorini. Naxos has many good beaches St George is just a 10 Minute stroll along the headland to Naxos town. Naxos town has a great waterfront promenade with a maze of back alleys winding to the Venetinan era Kastro. Naxos has several mountain villages to explore as well.

If Santorini is not an attraction for you the combination of Naxos and Paros is also a good trip.

I would also endorse tommyk suggestion of Crete. It is very large so you can just concentrate on visiting that one island. There are lots of connecting flights from Athens to Crete.
Crete has so many ancient sites from the Minoen period and all the way to ww2. There are still Venetian era cities with old towns and harbours. Its easy to spend time in Crete. Its also further south so will be a bit warmer this late in the season.

Some images
Around Naxos town 2022 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720299959098
Back to Naxos 2022 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720299940917
Botanical Gardens https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720299739852

Return to Chania 2022 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720299646015
Hope that helps