Please sign in to post.

Greece in November

Heading to greece for 13 days. One week in Athens, 2 nights in Meteora. Looking for recommendations for balance of trip without leaving mainland. Plan to rent a car.

Posted by
4374 posts

Nafplio or Thessaloniki would be tops of my list. Could you fly in or out of Thessaloniki? Traveling one way might save you some time.

Also, what kinds of things do you enjoy? Outdoors (yes even in cold weather), history, archaeology, etc.?

Posted by
3 posts

My teenage grandson is on a greek mythology tour. Family not really in to hiking. Personally id prefer to take trains and not have to drive. Would however like to visit some small villages and steer away from touristy areas.

Posted by
4374 posts

My teenage grandson is on a greek mythology tour. Family not really in
to hiking. Personally id prefer to take trains and not have to drive.
Would however like to visit some small villages and steer away from
touristy areas.

I'm not sure I understand--is the teen's tour the trip, part of the trip, something separate?
Don't sweat the driving--it's easy and so worth it, and to get to small villages will be vital.

Sounds like Nafplio would be perfect--you can visit several major sites from there or en route (Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nemea, Corinth).
Delphi can break up the drive to Meteora.

Posted by
3 posts

Yes the teens tour is the major reason for the trip. I think after your suggestions we will go there to the nafplio

Area. Do you know what area the nicest sand beaches are? Not that we will be swimming unless a heat wave arrives however i do love to walk sandy beaches. Thank you for your help.

Posted by
2497 posts

Karathona was our favorite beach near Nafplio. Nafplio itself has a charming beach but is rocky. Tolo is more sandy than Karathona but we didn’t care for it. There are no restrooms, there was trash on beach and in water. Only place we didn’t care for in Greece.

You can walk from parking lot for Nafplio town beach to Karathona. It is a lovely walk of a couple miles I think. It does not have much shade so can be hot but my husband and his brother walked back when it was cooler and was a favorite activity.