Please sign in to post.

Greece in March

Has anyone visited Greece in March my cousin’s 50th birthday is in early March but I have concerns about the weather? Also need nice hotel recommendation for 3 in Athens?
Thanks

Posted by
1388 posts

I go to Greece in March pretty much every year, the last two excepted. It’s difficult to answer the weather question though, other than to say it’s really changeable both from year to year and from day to day!

I’m generally there for around ten days, and often in Athens. I usually have some days when I can sit out at lunchtime in shirt sleeves, but I usually also have some very wet days and, occasionally, have had sleet.

The only advice I can give is layers and waterproofs.

We like the Attalos as a hotel. It’s reasonably priced and just outside Plaka, the central tourist area. It’s five minutes walk from Monastiraki metro station, which is on a direct line from the airport.

https://www.attaloshotel.com/

Alan

Posted by
6399 posts

What kind of weather do you prefer? For me I would not worry about the weather in March as the temperatures are reasonable and there is no risk of 40°C-heatwaves.

Posted by
2622 posts

We did two weeks in Greece in March 2019. Athens was fine. Weather was in the 60s, which is perfect for us. Santorini was not crowded at all but lively and most things were open. Naxos was definitely quiet - but there was enough open for us. We got one day of rain - in Napflio.

Posted by
1371 posts

Agree with Alan's recommendation regarding the Attalos Hotel. We were there in April 2016 and enjoyed our stay. The weather was great that time of year.

Posted by
1157 posts

The best way to check weather info is to see what the averages are for a particular month.

I haven't been in March so can't help. Obviously there is no guarantee on the weather.

I always stay at the Attalos Hotel on Athinas St. It's safe, clean and centrally located. Short walk from the Metro Station.

Athinas St. is the "every man" Street for Greeks, lots of small shops, tavernas and a quick walk to the Central Markets which is always a highlight for any stay in Athens.

Posted by
15585 posts

With all due respect, the best way is to see what the actual weather conditions were in the time period you are planning, in previous years. use this site to see the actual temps, wind, rains, etc. daily for the month of march for any of the last 10 years.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone this was helpful especially hotel info and weather site. Happy Traveling!