Please sign in to post.

Greece in March

Hi guys!

Looking to travel to Greece in Mid-March to include Athens, Santorini and Mykonos. In general, is March a good time to visit Greece in terms of weather and still enjoy these 2 islands?

Alao, I wouls rather much prefer to take the ferry between islanda instead of flying. Will the ferries be operating at that time or am I put of luck.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by
2176 posts

Just to check if you know why you want to go to Santorini and Mykonos.
These islands are among the most touristy places in the world (and the most expensive). These are only 2 islands among around 200 Greek islands.

Luckily in March you shouldn't experience many crowds or much heat, you might get some rain.
It's not yet the start of the tourist season, which means that very few restaurants and hotels are open. All beachside facilities are closed.

I wouls rather much prefer to take the ferry between islanda instead
of flying

Apart from a few rare exceptions in summer, there are no flights between the islands anyway.

Will the ferries be operating at that time

Ferries operate 365/365. Their main use is to allow islanders to travel, and to transport materials and goods to supply the islands.

Posted by
31 posts

JoLu,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve always wanted to visit Santorini so thus, this island.

So are you saying that travel in ferries between these islands are possible whole yr round?
I am in the very early stages of planning so haven’t figured out much of an itinerary yet but have looked into travel sites and the ferry option does not come up for travel for Athens-Mykonos-Santorini. It did show air travel between Santorini-Athens.

Posted by
2176 posts

I don't know on which travel site you did your research, but if I were you, and if you want reliable information I wouldn't go back to this travel site. :))

So are you saying that travel in ferries between these islands are
possible whole yr round?

The islands are not theme parks intended for tourists with fixed opening hours and days. They are inhabited by people who, just like you, have stores, supermarkets, pharmacies, mechanics, who need to be supplied with food, toilet paper, microwave ovens, trucks, medicines, materials to build roads and houses.

They also travel on other islands or on the mainland to see their family, have administrative or medical appointments .

Without ferries all year round, life on an island is impossible. (sorry for this long explanation which may seem obvious)

On the other hand, almost no islander needs to go from Mykonos to Santorini (or vice versa). This is the kind of ferry connection that is only used by tourists during the tourist season.

So not only you won't find a direct flight from Mykonos to Santorini, but you also won't find a ferry between these islands from late October until mid-March.

Besides, if I can understand the desire to see Santorini, I wonder why you want to go to Mykonos.
Everything you see in travel brochures or websites, white washed houses, blue domes, beaches, you will find it in the other 18 Cyclades islands.

Posted by
31 posts

Mykonos is not a 100% yet. As I’ve said, I am still in the initial stages of putting a trip together, but thank you for your time.

Posted by
2176 posts

Don't think that in March you are going to be in the vibe of the usual tourist season like the one shown on social networks, Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube.

If you are expecting this kind of atmosphere, from late October to early April these are "sleepy" places which could seem depressing like a seaside resort would be in the middle of winter.
That being said, it's a good time to experience real local daily life in these islands.

The temperature will probably not exceed 60F in late March.

Regarding the Cyclades Islands see the official Greek sites such as:

https://www.visitgreece.gr/islands/cyclades/

Ferry timetables in March will not be released until December or January.
Check here when they will be available:

https://www.ferryhopper.com/en/#/

Posted by
31 posts

JoLui

That would actually be nice, the lesser the crowd, the better.

Thank you for the links.