Please sign in to post.

Greece in January

Hi, We are traveling to Greece From January 2-13. we are staying in Athens January 2-4. I had been planning on going to Mykonos and then on to Crete or Santorini but after reading Rick's latest Greece book, I am feeling a little sad that Mykonos sounds nothing like the Mykonos of my past travels. I technically have 8 days to spend after our two days in Athens. My husband and I both love Santorini and Crete. Would you break up those 8 days with a short Island hop? Say 6 days in Crete or Santorini and then 2 days on Naxos or one of the other smaller Islands. We did a 5 week trip 20 years ago and cramming everything I want to do in 12 days is a challenge. I am I wrong in interpreting that Mykonos by the ferry docks is no longer a quaint town? Is there anything close to that old time Mykonos feel that would be worth visiting in January? Thanks again.

Posted by
2494 posts

I don’t know about Mykonos specifically but my impression is that the tourist sector is pretty much closed up in winter on the islands. The manager of the hotel we stayed in Naxos told us how he spends the winters in Athens.

Posted by
15 posts

I've previously spent 5 weeks between December and January I'm well aware that the touristy places are closed, It's why we travel when we do. I'm well aware of the wearher. I can be chilly and damp at home or in Greece. Given the choice I'll take Greece. My reason for travel is to get to know the people and the culture not the tourists. Last time I was in Mykonos there was literally 1 hotel open by the docks. Run by a man referred to only as "the Captain."

I just didn't want to get there to find out the beautiful town I remember no longer exists. I used Google maps to find out it was not as bad as what I envisioned. I think we will head to Crete for 4 days and then do 2 days on Naxos and 2 days Mykonos. My daughter wants to see as many places as she can. I'm going to check Ferry schedules so we don't get stuck anywhere.

Posted by
3121 posts

Be advised that in the winter months there will be no ferry service between Naxos and Mykonos.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you. That's good to know. I was looking up the ferry schedule and there were ferry's listed. Previously, we have taken a ferry from Mykonos to Santorini in January and it stopped in Naxos.

Posted by
3121 posts

That must have been a very long time ago. There haven't been any ferries between Santorini and Mykonos between November and April for as long as I can remember, at least 15 years if not longer. Would you please provide the website address for the Naxos>Mykonos schedule you've found?

Posted by
1157 posts

Why don't you go to Crete for your entire trip? Crete is the southern most of the Greek Islands and the weather will be a lot more comfortable in January . . . not that it will be tropical but it will probably be in the upper 50s (F) and depending on where you live can be quite nice that time of year. I know in my home state in the northeast of the US temperatures in the upper 50s for January would be heavenly!

Crete is Greece's largest island with a wide variety of things to see, do and experience and you can spend your entire stay there and still not see even a fraction of what the island has to offer.

I've only been to Mykonos on a Delos/Mykonos day trip with Delos far more enjoyable than Mykonos and that was in October. However, people have different opinions on Greek Islands. I would assume Mykonos would be a lot more enjoyable in January than High Season, but still . . . Crete would be my recommendation to stay for your entire trip.