Please sign in to post.

Greece Island Connections

Okay so changing my post a little now.

After searching looks like no direct flights from Crete Chania to Santorini. With that said I am looking to find if their is a ferry schedule from Crete to Santorini for April. Can any recommendations?

So if I got this right I am thinking from Athens fly to Crete for a couple of days there. Then ferry it to Santorini if available stay there for a couple days then fly back to Athens for a day.

Trying to find ferry information but really can't find anything with dates, I want to make sure ferry is available.

What do you guys think? Looking to do some hiking and enjoying the views I am sure it will not be beach weather but that is okay.

Posted by
1157 posts

Go to Direct Ferry Website (https://www.directferries.com/) and do a search for Crete to Santorini. You'll find several options for April.

However, it may not be worth the effort to spend just two days on Crete then travel to Santorini for two days.

It would be better to stay in Crete for your entire time since there are so many more and interesting things to do there.

Posted by
1117 posts

What does "a couple of days" mean? Did you say "two days" before?

Changing a post after someone has already replied does not help make things clearer...

Posted by
11180 posts

Seems like a lot of hopping around in 5 days. And only one day in Athens?

Posted by
4156 posts

I agree with Joe. Have you been to Athens before? Even assuming your 5 days means 6 nights, that's a very short time for Athens if you intend to see anything or learn anything, much less going to any of the islands.

I've been to all 3 places, and if hiking is your main objective, Crete is probably your best bet, if the weather is in your favor. Views are possible just about anywhere, but my favorites were on Santorini (and in Delphi, but that's not on your list).

It will not be especially warm in Greece in April. This weather link provides lots of weather info for Athens, Crete (Chaniá and Irákleion) and Santorini. And you can click on F° if that's better for you.

Average April weather looks fairly benign, but bad weather could leave you stuck somewhere because neither planes nor ferries will go. Or the fast ferries may not be so fast.

And if you haven't been to Greece before, be aware that used toilet paper of any kind goes in the garbage can next to the toilet. It is not flushed. Greek sewer systems cannot handle it.

Posted by
1117 posts

Just wondering... where do you all get those five days from?

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks all for the input.

Decided we would fly to Santorini and stay there for 5 days then do 2 days at Athens (I know not enough time to cover Athens). Will definitely have to do a second trip for much longer and later on in the hotter months.

Any private or group tour recommendations for either locations?

Thanks again

Posted by
1117 posts

A couple of questions if I may:

• So I get this right you will be traveling to Greece for one week only from overseas? That's not a whole lot, considering jetlag and everything. Travel time and "enjoyment time" are not in good proportion, IMO. You mention being able to travel again later in the year. Have you thought of combining those trips and making that one longer vacation? You would be minimizing travel time and maximizing enjoyment time at your destination.

• When you say "2 days at Athens", does that mean two full sightseeing days (= three nights), or two nights => one full sightseeing day?

later on in the hotter months

Make sure you check the temperatures of the places you plan to visit and see if you are comfortable with those. I personally would not visit Greece in July or August if I could avoid it.