Please sign in to post.

Greece in April 2025 with a teen and adults

Hi,
We need itinerary help. Going to Greece for 8-9 nights in April right at Holy Week ( April 10-20), with a fit and athletic 14 year old, his fit father, and my husband and myself, early 80’s grandparents. We are fit but don’t need to do everything the other two do. Ideally spend 4 nights in Athens and do short day trips from there, and do one island for 3 nights. We are aware this is a bare introduction but hope we can get the flavor and have fun. Not interested in a party scene. Prefer walks, short hikes, perhaps some snorkeling or kayaking ( will it be warm enough?), some of the must see historical and archeological sites.

My question is, which island? And are we crazy to try to do an island and mainland too? Santorini looks too crowded and touristy. We like what we hear about Naxos, and it has an airport, so we could do one transfer by air and one by ferry. Appreciate any tips, thoughts about this bare outline. The trip is really for our 14 year old grandson, so would like to emphasize his interest in active things., as opposed to shopping, museums, churches and nightlife.

Posted by
4748 posts

I would rule out swimming--sea is cold even in May--and see what looks appealing with that in mind.
I get the appeal of the islands, but it is so much easier to explore the mainland, so I always urge those who do not have something definite in mind to keep that under consideration.
My husband and I are avid hikers, and for our first visit, we spent ten days in the Peloponnese (just a night in Athens--we will come back). The sites are very concentrated, plus you have all of the beautiful countryside as well.
If you are set on getting to an island, I would choose Crete and fly round-trip.

Posted by
1199 posts

With just 8-9 nights you won't have much time but I would suggest at least 3 nights in Athens as there's more to the city than just the tourist sites. Four nights would also be fine. More than enough to do rather than day trips which will eat up time just getting there like Nafplio or one of the Saronic Islands which are close to the mainland.

As far as an island that would leave 3-4 nights and to save a hassle of another flight I would recommend the the island of Aegina which is the closet island to the mainland.

It has everything one would want in a Greek Island, one of the best preserved temples in Greece, an abandoned Byzantine Village in the hills known as the "Mystras of the Aegean", pretty seaside villages, beaches, walking/hiking routes and is known as the Pistachio Capital of Greece plus activities for your grandson.

April will be off season so should be quiet but even weekends tend to be crowded as mainlands do day trips then. During the week would be quieter if you can manage it..

Naxos is lovely and the largest of the Cyclades but flights tend to be quiet expensive even though it's not that far away. A ferry will be cheaper and probably more of an exciting experience than flying.

Many more options for things to do.

Tough decision but either may work for you.

Posted by
62 posts

Thanks to both of you for the replies. We are currently a bit hung up on whether any swimming or water sports at all will be too cold in April. Advice on this varies, but one of you said it would be too cold. Back to the drawing board, but appreciate all of your thoughts.

Posted by
4748 posts

You can find actual historical air and sea temps on a weather website (I like Wunderground)--maybe pick a few random locations to get an idea of what is typical. I guess it could partially depend on where you are from and what you are used to, but for me (native to southern US), swimming in April would fall under polar bear club territory. I swam off Kardamyli in late May, but only after a long, hot hike and not for long--it was a bracing swim!
The Bradt Guides were really helpful to me, and any of the Cicerone books will be good for hiking ideas. My favorite hike was along the gorge to monasteries just outside Stemnitsa. Hiking temps should be excellent.
But, really think about transport first--do you all want to rent a car and drive? Do you want to take a ferry or flight? Consider what will maximize your time, because there are many great choices.