Please sign in to post.

Greece Honeymoom - October 2019

Hello, we're currently firming up our honeymoon plans and I've come to realize I definitely need some help. We're both in our early 30s, have spent time in a few European countries, but neither of us have been to Greece and the ferry system is completely new to us. Our focus for this vacation will be leisure. We enjoy food, lounging, a little shopping, and some hiking. We're not big on nightlife. We also enjoy architecture, history, and archaeology, but I think we'll be content with what Athens has to offer on the latter. As this is our honeymoon, we're willing to spend a little more than we typically would, but are still conscious of value - i.e. not worried about budget lodgings or restaurant costs, but don't need a top of the line luxury boutique resort when another place will offer the same feel for a better price. Just want to experience the real Greece, and have a romantic time. ;) We like to be near enough to be able to walk to restaurants and the like. Would like to avoid renting a car if we can, but if it's a must we would.

We'll be flying in to Athens, arrive at 12:30 Oct 23. We fly out of Athens at 12:00 Nov 1. Our original plan was to immediately hit Santorini, then Milos/Sifnos, then 3 days in Athens (to hopefully not miss our flight home due to weather). However, upon researching ferries it looks like that's a terrible idea, and it'll need to be Naxos/Paros (or elsewhere?) instead of Milos. I have several questions/concerns:

• Where in Santorini should we stay? I had initially thought Oia - we mainly want a space with a great view and a private jacuzzi. My fiance isn't big on crowds though, and I read that cruise ships are still flooding Oia in October. Should we look at staying elsewhere - maybe Firostefani? I just want to be sure we pick somewhere that is busy enough to still offer many shop and restaurant options this late in the year. Is there plenty to do there, or will we be constantly traveling to the other villages?
  • Is Naxos/Paros a good choice for our middle stop? We don't want to be rushed, but would like to experience a little variety and see what other islands are like - I'm open to another destination.
  • Should we be worried about end of season closures on the islands we're looking at?
  • Do we ferry to all the islands? Or should I be looking at flights between islands instead?
  • Is there something else I should be considering and haven't thought of?

Thank you in advance for any wisdom and advice you might share!

Posted by
3317 posts

You really only have 8 days.... so almost anything will be rushed -- you have to plan very strategically. Example == DAY 1 If your 12:30 arrival is on time you'll have to hustle for a connection (if you have a change in Europe, delay from that connection often happens); domestic flights require check-in at least 45 minutes before departure -- Sky Express @ 2pm is iffy, Aegean at 15:10 (3:10) is safer, arriving 4 pm. In October, sundown is 6:30, so basically you check in & go find a nice caldera view nearby to have an adult beverage & dinner.

SANTORINI - Oct 23-24-25 - YES, you should pick firostephani, because it's an easy walk into Fira Town for cafes, shops, nightlife etc. ANd the Cruise Crowds don't even know it exists, their busses whiz by, so you avoid crowds. LOTS of rimside hotels with caldera view balconies - look at Hotel Mylos, Sunset Hotel, and with pools Villa Ilias, Agnadema Apartments, Dana Villa EARLY on Day 2 you bus or Taxi to OIA at 8:30, enjoy 2 hrs there before the ship-mobs arrive, then u catch local bus & scram. FOr your serene sunset cocktails and/or dinner, places in Fira Town or Firostephan are still open & enjoyable.

NAXOS - Oct 26-27-28 Take 10:45 CHampionJet ferry (open back deck allows for departure view of caldera & pix-taking) arrives Naxos noon. I vote for Naxos because its large permanent population means its port town & surroundings is vibrant year-round. Best place to stay in October is on St. George Beach directly adjacent to port town just 15- mins stroll to harborside crescent of restaurants, bars, shops etc. Fascinating town of winding mazey lanes, Castle (Kastro) atop town, tiny museum with amazing ancient treasures, Fab arch on causeway by pier. SO much to see/do! - Weather may vary, but the sea will still be warm enough to enjoy a dip. 1.5 days is really not enough time for this gorgeous island, & there's only 1 flight per day, so I suggest 2.5 days, taking the 8:40am flight on Oct 29 -- you'll arrive 9 AM, taxi can get you to central-area hotel by 10:30 latest and get busy sightseeing. (NOTE - with your VERY short stay, you don't have time for 6 hour ferry to mainland).

ATHENS - OCT 29-30-31 -- My fave area to stay is S. Side of Acropolis, near the scenic pedestrian promenade looking up at Acropois, near Acropolis Museum. See if u can get high-floor balcony room at Hotel Phillipos or upscale sister hotel, Herodion -- check booking.com first, even if no availability shows, contact hotel websites directly with EMAIL not form-filling (tell them its your honeymoon, that sometimes works wonders!). Another good place in area = Hotel Hera. If you don't want tours & want to try D-I-Y site-seeing, Rick Steves website offers FREE audio downloads, step-by-step guidance to Acropolis, Ancient Agora, and also the 10 top sights in the Nat. Arch. Museum... good for intelligent independent travelers who r also willing to do a bit of homework.

Posted by
7328 posts

Congratulations, and at Eastertime last year, in Athens, we also chose the neighborhood south of the Acropolis, and stayed at the Art Gallery Hotel. Greece is less expensive than a lot of other places in Europe, and their rates may actually be cheaper than what you’re looking for, but check them out: https://www.artgalleryhotel.gr/

For dinner, the nearby Mani Mani should not be missed, an excellent value, really good food.

For a honeymoon dinner splurge, take a taxi to the Michelin starred Botrini restaurant, for a really special dinner.

Keep an eye on your wallet/purse on the Athens Metro - someplace where wearing a money belt is really a good thing.

Haven’t been to the islands you mention, so no personal recommendations there, although we’re heading to Crete in late September/early October.

Posted by
3317 posts

Going to/from airport, the daytime taxi rate is flat-fee €38 includes luggage, tolls,etc. Dont pay more. If going alone I shun metro €10 for the x95 bus... almost same time, €6, no pickpocketing... ends at Syntagma Square, if your hotel is more than 4-5 blocks from there you can get a taxi for €8 or so.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you both for your tips and advice! I wish we had an additional month or so to spend in the country! There is so much to see :)

It seems the Champion Jet ferry is only offering a trip on Friday or Sunday, but not Saturday, Oct 26. (Though I could be looking in the wrong place - if you'd found it, a point in the right direction would be much appreciated). There does seem to be a Blue Star Delos departure at 3:30 10/26. Is that a longer trip, or one where we won't be able to enjoy the caldera view on the way out?

Is 45 min early sufficient to arrive at the airport in Naxos for our flight to Athens?

Posted by
1366 posts

You are right for some reason there is only the Blue star Delos. The Championjets are on the day before and the day after. Actually the blue Star does the long trip through the Caldera probably 30 minutes or more. Championjet takes a shorter route and at 40 knots you are not in the caldera very long. Its main competitive edge is it departs much earlier than the blue Star so you are on Naxos shortly after noon while Blue star gets you there in the late afternoon. Thats why experienced travelers like Janet recommend Championjet for that hop. For sure you are going to enjoy the caldera views from Blue Star.

Yes 45 minutes before flight time is lots at Naxos airport.

Posted by
5 posts

Darn, I was hoping I'd missed something - getting in to Naxos doing the schedule Janet described sounded perfect! The Blue Star schedule will work, though. Just one more leisurely morning in Santorini - I could think of worse things. :)

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to all of you, I feel exceedingly accomplished today! We are officially booked for accommodations on Santorini and Naxos (working on the Herodion Athens), got our ferry sorted, and flights purchased to get us to Santorini and from Naxos back to Athens.

I struck out on many recommended hotels (evidently quite a few along the beach in Naxos close just before we arrive), but we did score a nice suite at the Homeric Poems, and snatched up a room at the Hotel Grotta. I'm very excited! And oh-so-thankful we weren't trying to do this any later in the year. Now to get to work on the must-do's. Thank you all again for your help, the recommendations were wonderful - can't wait to experience them.

Posted by
15576 posts

You'll have an extra hour on Naxos anyway - the clocks are turned back on the night of the 26th.Sunset on the 26th is at 18.28, on the 27th at 17.27. (just happened to be check for myself :-)

Posted by
5 posts

How wonderful! Haha Thank you for sharing that tidbit - I would have forgotten.