Please sign in to post.

Greece

My daughter and I have been planning a trip to Greece and some of the islands in September 2016. We are concerned about safety and as you know we need to book in advance. Do you feel it is safe to travel to Greece? If so, which islands would you recommend.

Posted by
4637 posts

Right now it is safe and I assume it will be still safe in September.

Posted by
23266 posts

Don't know how you would expect anyone with any authority to answer that question. A year is a long time. Greece has always been relatively safe for typical tourist activities. Don't know why it would not be safe a year from now. But there are no guarantees. We are going to France in September, 16, for a month. Haven't thought twice about that and have made most of the reservations at this time. All of the island are fine but different as to size and activity. Santorini is a great island, also Mykonos, perhaps Rhodes, Samos, You pick.

Posted by
1157 posts

Impossible to say. However, we have been going to Greece every year since 2010 and have never had any safety issues with the Greeks as far as protests, demonstration, or harrassments. They are kind, helpful and polite and if you learn a few Greek words or phrases you'll make instant friends. The only concern would be a strike which would stop public transportation. As far as terrorism is concerned that is a real unknown but Greece has never been a target of outside terrorists. There are some domestic anarchists but they never target tourists. They have issues with the government, banks, etc.,. but that would be a real rare occurence. Here in the US most Americans have more to fear from being shot by other Americans than terrorists! Greece is one of the safest countries in the world and as of right now I would say go! In fact we are already reseaching our Oct. 2016 trip to Greece.

For an island(s) it all depends on what you want for a Greek Island: nightlife, shopping, partying, beaches, culture, archeological sites, more locals than tourists, etc. We avoid the Big Name Islands like Santorini and Mykonos. Some of our favorite islands are Sifnos, Milos, Naxos, Amorgos & Astypalea. We are researching Lemnos, Thassos, Skyros and Ikaria for our 2016 trip.

Posted by
32201 posts

robin,

I agree with Frank that there are no guarantees but is should be safe. I was there in 2010 when riots were taking place (which included some fatalities), and I had no problems at all. I probably wouldn't choose islands that are dealing with refugee traffic such as Lesvos, not so much because of safety concerns but rather concerns about heavy traffic on the ferries or whatever. You shouldn't have any problems on islands like Naxos, Santorini or Hydra, nor in the Peloponnese area.

I used one of the Greek travel agencies recommended on Matt Barrett's excellent website, and they did a fantastic job of making all the arrangements for hotels, transfers, etc.

Posted by
1 posts

Greece is one of the safest parts of Europe and all that has been mentioned in the past is clearly propaganda.

A country with the richest history in Europe,greatest sightseeing, logical prices, cultures and the list goes on and on.

Posted by
6500 posts

We were there in October, near the height of the refugee crisis, and had no safety issues. As Ken mentioned, some of the eastern Aegean islands might not be advisable -- not for safety reasons but because they've been overwhelmed by all the desperate people passing through them. Greece needs and deserves your visit. No one can predict conditions next September, but based on our recent visit and all I know about European travel (more than some, less than many) I wouldn't hesitate to plan this trip.

Aegina would be a good choice for a day trip from Athens, or even overnight (I don't know about hotels), likewise Hydra. We had a wonderful few days in Crete and would have enjoyed more. I haven't been to Mykonos or Santorini and wouldn't want to go based on what I've heard about the crowding and hype. Posters here will have their favorites, and hopefully so will you after your wonderful safe trip next fall!