Please sign in to post.

Greece w/ teens 2025 which island

We are traveling to Greece in May of 25 and really struggling with where to stay and what to see and do. We have 4 25 year olds that want to do the Mykonos party scene that they see on Instagram and 2 teenagers that want to be on the water and adventures. Then four 50 year old parents that just want to relax. We are planning on starting in Athens and heading to Mykonos. Debating from there if we stay four nights there then 3 nights on another island? Or a week on one island and venture out daily to beach clubs, sailing excursions to other islands etc.

Appreciate any guidance.

Posted by
131 posts

I would do another island since each island offers a different experience. I really liked Rhodes because it offers history and beautiful beaches. We rented a car on Rhodes so that we could explore. Another option is to go to Nafplio on the "mainland" by renting a car in Athens and driving there which was not a bad drive for us. We loved Nafplio so much we rearranged our trip to spend more time there. It is a fun town and the beaches are pretty. Your teenagers could go on an organized kayak tour to the ancient underwater city. The archeological sites nearby are amazing.

Posted by
2674 posts

Well, I can tell you what we did with 7 people (3 50 somethings) and four twenty somethings.

We didn’t go to Mykonos. I didn’t want to go there and I was planning the trip.

We spent 3 nights on Santorini, 4 on Naxos, flew back to Athens and rented a car. Drive to Nafplio for four nights, ended up in Athens for 3 nights.

It was a wonderful trip.

So a couple of things. Go to your first island the day of arrival and save Athens for the end. I wouldn’t stay on Mykonos the whole time. It is much more expensive than anywhere else in Greece. If you have committed to it, consider pairing it with either Naxos or Paros. You can ferry between islands and then fly back to Athens.

Posted by
2181 posts

It is very difficult to go to another island just for the day unless you rent a private boat or take an organized excursion to a neighboring island. So forget about this “venture out daily” as if it were just a little trip that’s easy to organize.

If the 4 young people want to do the Mykonos party scene, let them go. People who know why they go to Mykonos go there for precisely this kind of activity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMpaksY4sTE

But be aware that Mykonos is one of the most expensive destinations in Europe, so plan for big expenses for parties and beach clubs. Access to beach clubs is not free. a day with 4 sunbeds & 4 umbrellas in high season can cost up to €500 (not including drinks charged at the high rate).

Don't forget your credit cards!

Mykonos has no equivalent in Greece or even in Europe, but in case Mykonos is a little "too much", the neighboring island of Paros, and especially the village of Naoussa (which I hate) could do the trick for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFB8OSIQeE

Posted by
227 posts

I used to organize and lead tours in Greece.

My suggestion would be to get into a car as soon as you arrive in Athens and go to Nafplio. From there you will have an unlimited number of options on how and where to proceed. All of the historical and cultural locations are easily within reach, there is plenty of life day and night in town, and plenty of beaches nearby (though in May it's less certain to be warm enough for everyone to enjoy swimming).

Then, drive to Athens, park the car, enjoy the city and finally drive to the airport, drop the car, walk leisurely into the terminal.