Please sign in to post.

Greece 2024 with teenager

Hello my family and I three of us are trying to plan a trip to Greece in July. We will fly into Athens. We have 2 and half weeks. Want to see Athens and then looking for beautiful beach places and small towns. I know about Santorini and thinking Karpatos.
Any assistance of where to go and sat and book would be great thank you

Posted by
1817 posts

Apart Karpathos, what are your favorite places among those recommended by the guides you have looked at?

Posted by
85 posts

When are you going ? And what exactly do you like to see. There are loads of islands with beautiful beaches. The Cyclades are known for there white washed houses and I’ve read that Milos has beautiful beaches. Santorini isn’t exactly a beach destination, very crowded in high season and expensive (like Mykonos).
The Ioanian islands are more colorful (Italian-like). Kefalonia has beautiful beaches. I’ve heard that Karpathos is nice but it hasn’t got many (permanent) residents (less then 10.000) so there are not that many small towns to explore. On the mainland Halkidiki has beautiful beaches. I’ve only been to the first ‘finger’ Kassandra and did find great beaches there but the beaches on Sithonia (second ‘finger’) are more beautiful I’ve been told by Greeks.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi we are looking at early July. I see Paros looks really nice. We want to definitely see beautiful beaches and towns. Definitely thinking of Athens and Santorini. Now debating Karpathos after reading since it seems further away. Want to avoid Mykonos.

Posted by
3320 posts

YOu plan to go in HIGH season -- strategize or be trampled in the crush. Europe descends on the Greek Isles July 1 thru late august. Islands w airports especially hard-hit. I suggest trying non-airport islands, and just hitting Santorini with a glancing blow... maybe 1 night, 2 at most... just to see what giant crowds look like (up to 5 megacruisers in a day; the island is so overwhelmed it actually cuts off cruisers at 10K per day (but then there are 10K others coming via ferry & planes).

Standard advice is to do Athens last, because u need to be there anyway for homebound flight. Besides, affter flight(s) from N. America (I'm guessing tho you don't share), you'll be exhausted, not ready to tackle sightseeing in bustlilng world capital; much easier more fun to recover on lovely isle... & after time in Greece, you'll be more savvy about getting around, transport, tickets etc. My suggestion is, book flight that arrives before noon... car service or bus (depending on time-constraints) to seaport (Piraeus) & ferry to isle #1. Then ferry to Isle# 2 -- back to Athens for final 3 days?

1 ISLE - I recommend SIFNOS -- Gorgeous beaches, hill villages, wonderful food, good bus network... I recommend Platy GIalos or Vathy beach -- this website has info on ALL aspects: cllick every link! http://sifnos.e-sifnos.com/index.htm Great family isle w lots of teens to socialize with. But don't dither! One of reasons it doesn't absolutely jampack is, lodging supply limited -- and when its fully booked, that's It!

2ISLE - PAROS is the best connected... best ferry is 2-3 x per week. If you want a good beach in Crowdy July, look at ALIKO... just 10-15 mins S. of the Port of Parikia, frequent cheap bus connection. ALSo, right by the teeny 10-min ferry to Antiparos.

3 - SANTORINI -- a Bonus is that 2x week there's a day-excursion from Paros/Naxos ... it gets to SAntorini 10:30 AM, a bus takes you to the 2 main caldera-view "high points", OIA and FIRA, you have free time at each for pix, shopping lunch, etc... then Bus takes you back to ferry, you're back in Paros for dinner/sunset... you see the views, don't need to be submerged in crowds (and the beaches in Santorini are black volcanic grit, so, not best for swims). If you feel you MUST stay a night in Santorini, you can instead take the 1 pm BLUE STAR Ferry.... suggest looking for a room in Firostephani, on cliffside view on N Fringe of Fira; easy walk to attraction, but free of cruise mobs.

FINALE -- From PAROS or SANTORINI, check NOW for possible bargain Aegean/Sky Express flights to ATH. A paros flight is 40mins vs 4.5 hours ferry; Santorini 50mins vs 8+ hrs ferry... and promotional air tix not that different from Ferry reserve seats.

ATHENS -- it will be HOT, so pick hotel or AirBnb very close to Acropolis, other major landmarks. I lilke this detailed color map
http://www.orangesmile.com/destinations/img/athens-map-big.jpg -- clearly shows locations of main attractions, and the huge traffic avenues (6 lanes busy 24/7) to avoid. I lilke area just S. of Acropolis precinct because of many no-cars lanes, lots of trees & greenery, welcome in hot weather. Athens Walks is solid-well reviewed tour option for Acropolis & Acrop Museum ... Rick Steves website (check LH box on this page for "watch/listen") has FREE downloadable step-by-step guides, so you could DIY -- and go late in day when crowds thin out & heat is less.

Posted by
3320 posts

I didn't mean Isle advice to be in large type -- but I'm not sure how to reverse it!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you thank you so so much. This is so helpful. We have to
Hi I. July as we have a high school child and she can not take any time off school now. Thank you again for the great information . And yes we are flying out of NY or NJ