Please sign in to post.

Greece 2021 guide book

Dear Rick and staff,
Will a 2021 Greece guide book be produced this year or should I purchase the 2020 book? We will travel to either Greece or France on our way to Morocco. I believe a 2021 France guide book will be available the end of January. Please confirm for me. We used your Spain book successfully 2 years ago and your Italy book in 2002. God bless, Jeff and Jane Lauch

Posted by
759 posts

Rick addressed this subject on Monday night. Current guidebooks are it. Period. Post pandemic, later in 2021 and into 2022 he and his associates will scour Europe and re-examine every guidebook; make necessary changes (closures) then rewrite. With publication lead times your looking at very late 2022 or 2023 editions. So...a 2020 Guidebook is as good as it gets for another 2 years.

RS has a website that publishes ALL current information. Don’t waste their time with calls to a Skelton staff thinking you are going to get top secret, hush-hush, insider information. Every guidebook he produces has a listed next edition date. You can find it under “Product Details”.

Posted by
7360 posts

Just in case you might be wanting a guidebook for Morocco, too, we used both books from Lonely Planet and The Rough Guide. They were both helpful, although they only come out with a new addition every few years, not annually like Rick Steves always did, pre-pandemic.

Posted by
808 posts

We too use Rick's books for our trips, but I found the Greece edition to be limited for many places. I also used Fodor's Essential Greece as well the Lonely Planet book. I find it helpful to visit our local library and bookstore to determine which books have the most useful information to meet our needs. At that point I decide what to purchase.

Posted by
1603 posts

We always use Lonely Planet, Fodors, and Michelin Green Guides, in addition to Rick's books. I notice his books omit places that other books include. I like Rick's walking tours, but I honestly believe the other books I mention are better and more inclusive.

Posted by
27112 posts

Rick has a lot of information about his guidebooks right on this website. Go here and click on "What's included".

The RS guides typically cover only selected destinations in each country, but they cover them in greater detail than most other guides. I find them especially helpful on logistics (how to get around without wasting money, etc.), but it should be recognized that what was published in a guidebook a few years ago may not be totally accurate on the logistics front when countries awaken from their slumber.

Posted by
1157 posts

Some of the best guide books to Greece are The Blue Guide (one of the best), Rough Guide. (very good) and Lonely Planet (very good)

In fact any of the Blue Guide's books to all parts of Greece are my top choices.

Posted by
4384 posts

I highly recommend regional guides. The Bradt Guides to the Peloponnese and Northern Greece are both quite detailed.