Sincerely, we must decide by tomorrow whether to join with this trip, so any input from this forum would be greatly appreciated.
Our daughter is participating in an 18-day study abroad trip to Greece with her community college this June/July. Due to the low # of participants, they are willing to open this trip to family members as well. So we are considering this. Here are some considerations for us:
- My husband and I are 60, but in good shape, so we are not too worried about keeping up with the crowd.
- He and I are taking a self-planned (thank you RS!) anniversary trip to Italy May 4-25, but we anticipate that 1 month between these trips is enough 'recovery' time. Yes??
- We have no opportunity to modify the itinerary for this Greece trip. It's either "go" or "no go". I am somewhat concerned there is no downtime in the itinerary below, but I expect we could forego 1 or 2 day-trips to relax in Tolo. Any thoughts on which day-trips to give up?
- Daughter is ok with us tagging along (she's actually excited about this); She has her own roommate.
- The cost of the trip is $3650 per person (including airfare), and a few lunches & dinners are included.
Here is a condensed itinerary by day:
Friday, June 23: Evening departure from Dulles.
Saturday, June 24: Arrive Athens, transfer flight to Heraklion, arriving 8PM. Hotel in Heraklion (2 nights)
Sunday, June 25: Public bus to Knossos, then visit Heraklion Archeological Museum.
Monday, June 26: Morning Flying Cat to Santorini; Coach to Akrotiri (Ancient Thera); Overnight in Santorini (1 night).
Tuesday, June 27: Visit to Archaeological Museum of Ancient Thera; Flying Cat to Mykonos, arriving at 3PM. Free time. Hotel in Mykonos (2 nights).
Wednesday, June 28: Morning to Delos; tour site and museum; return to Mykonos.
Thursday, June 29: Early Sea Jet to Rafina: ,Coach transport to Temple of Poseidon; Afternoon coach trip to Athens; Group dinner at outdoor taverna in the Plaka. Hotel in Athens--Plaka? (2 nights)
Friday, June 30: Walk from hotel to visit Agora, Agora Museum and Acropolis; Afternoon visit to Acropolis Museum; Possible visit to Kerimeikos and Museum.
Saturday, July 1: Depart Athens early for bus drive to Delphi (3 ½ hours).; Visit Shrine of Apollo and Museum at Delphi; Afternoon departure via Patras to Olympia (4 hours); Overnight in Olympia (1 night).
Sunday, July 2: Walk from hotel to Ancient Olympia and Olympia Museum; Depart Olympia by coach after early lunch to Temple of Apollo Epicurus at Bassae (2 hours) in late afternoon; Coach to Argos (3 hours) for group dinner, then on to Tolo (1/2 hour); Hotel in Tolo (6 nights).
Monday, July 3: Bus to Nafplio (1/2 hour); Visit to Palamides Castle; Optional afternoon visits to Archaeological Museum, Museum of Peloponnesian Culture, or Bourtzi Fort in Nafplio, or free time for lunch and shopping in Nafplio.
Tuesday, July 4: Bus to Asine, then to Tiryns (1 hour) and Mycenae (1 hour). Stop at Midea/Dendra on the way back from Mycenae.
Wednesday, July 5: Bus to Epidauros (1 hour) followed by afternoon stop in Nafplio for lunch and shopping, possible optional museum visit(s).
Thursday, July 6: Day cruise to Hydra and Spetses.
Friday, July 7: Bus to Corinth (2 hours), visits to Acrocorinth Ancient Corinth site and Museum; Afternoon return to Tolo for group Greek music and dance dinner.
Saturday, July 8: Depart Tolo; Bus to Corinth Canal (2 hours); Stop for lunch in Eleusis and visit to shrine of Demeter at Eleusis before driving on to Athens in late afternoon. Hotel in Athens (2 nights).
Sunday, July 9: Walk/metro to National Archeological Museum; Free afternoon; Farewell group dinner at a souvlaki place in the Plaka.
Monday, July 10: Return to U.S.