Please sign in to post.

flights from Athens to Santorini

Hello Travelers -
I will be flying from NYC to Athens the end of March 2022 and connecting to a flight to Santorini. Do you have any idea the minimum amount of time I would need to make that connection with only a carry on bag? I see one leaves about 1 hour and 10 minutes after my first flight lands.... not ideal but is it doable? The next flight doesn't leave until 6 hours later. Also, do you think more flights will be added since I am still about 8 months out? Perhaps I am trying to book too early? Thank you for your assistance.

Posted by
7514 posts

There likely will not be additional slots added, unless there is another airline you are not looking at. March would be low season, even for Santorini.

You will need to clear immigration when landing, so an hour ten minutes is in my mind too close, especially if this will be a non-connected flight, you also will need to check in, and if a budget airline, may need to check a bag.

Posted by
2492 posts

I booked an Aegean flight 90 minutes after our United flight arrived. We had to check luggage as the luggage limits are less than on the international flights. We were fine but 20 minutes less would have been really tight. There is no time to even take a wrong turn.

My son and daughter flew from Athens on Ryan Air as it had flights later than Aegean. You might check them or see if there are other options.

Posted by
23245 posts

An hour ten is too tight especially if you plane lands 30 minutes late. I would try to book one ticket from NYC to Santorini. That gives you some flexibility should you miss your scheduled flight. Remember even if the plane lands on time it could take another 15, 20 minutes just getting off the plane if you are towards the back of the plane.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all! Your replies were very helpful. I hate to give up the non-stop on Delta but neither of the options (6 hours in Athens airport waiting for the flight to Santorini nor missing the morning Santorini flight due to the 1 hour 10 minute connection time) sound like a way to start a vacation. I'll look for a 1 stop flight that will put me into Athens with enough time to make to the afternoon flights to Santorini (3:40p and 5p I see at this point). Maybe connecting through a smaller city / airport.....
Thank you again for your quick response!

Posted by
7514 posts

In regards to my earlier comment about other airlines, you might look at Skyscanner. It appears Olympia Air, Aegean, Volotea, and Sky Express all fly to Santorini in March, so maybe there are other options.

Posted by
11 posts

According to Skyscanner, I see departures at 8:45a, 10:10a, 3:40p, 5p and 9:10p. The NYC-Athens non stop arrives at 9am.....If I miss that 10:10a, I wait in the airport over 5 hours until the 3:40p departure. I'm thinking it may be better to have one stop and arrive in Athens around 1:30p - I shouldn't have a problem making the connection to Santorini flight. I see connections through Paris, London, Munich and Rome. Munich may be the easiest. Thank you all again for your suggestions!

Posted by
2492 posts

Just consider total travel time. I spent four hours in Athens airport (after two flights) and it really wasn’t that bad. Don’t give up a direct flight to save an hour overall.