Please sign in to post.

fires in Greece

Is anyone going to Greece in the coming weeks, what do you guys think about the fires and all. We will be there in less than 3 weeks and I am worried. Thoughts please

Posted by
734 posts

I think it really would depend on what area of Greece you are visiting. At the moment it seems to be near Athenes. I would just keep you eye on the news and not do anything drastic yet.

Posted by
63 posts

Our family is going to Greece to. We got travel insurance, so we'll be reimbursed if its impossible, so we're pretty much sticking our heads in the sand for now. It would a major disappointment in the Athens airport closes, but the today's flight that corresponds to the one we are scheduled to take next week is leaving , which is reassuring.

Posted by
175 posts

we are doing the same thing, while we still have a little over 2 weeks left, we are sticking our heads in the sand as well, LOL. we are staying in Plaka area of Athens for about a week and then on to Mykonos and Santorini. We will not be returning to Athens, instead we will continue on to the UK and back to the states. I am stressing a little bit and hoping for the best!

Posted by
98 posts

I live in California and we are no strangers to fires in the summers...for example ast summer in Sonoma/Napa was one of the worse of course and we suffered with the smoke for days, 30 miles away from it. From what my experience has been here at the time the fire is raging it affects everything, but as soon as it's under control a week or so later if you are not going to be in the affecterd area it's amazing how quickly people pick up pieces and try to go back to as normal as they can. I hope for the sake of the Greek people this is under control very soon and they can get help and aid to assist those in need, so sad. The next week or so I'm sure will be difficult so good luck if you are going soon. I booked the Athens/Greece RS tour this week and leave on 9/6, didn't even give wild fires a thought when I booked it! :(

Posted by
32202 posts

As someone else mentioned, whether you have problems may depend on which part of Greece you're visiting. It will also depend on where the fires are at that time. The weather will likely by hot so touring about in the daytime may not be entirely comfortable. Be sure to take hats and good sun block.

We're also quite familiar with large fires in this area (there are some ongoing at the present time). Even if not directly affected by the fires, you may have to tolerate smoky and hazy skies in some places. If I were in the same situation, I'd continue the trip and just "play it by ear".

Posted by
175 posts

Thank you for all the input... we live in Southern California and I am well aware of the fire and the dangers and all that. We are staying in Athens, we will not be touring outside of Athens with the exception of going to the Cyclades. Currently it is over 105 degrees here where we live and will be like that for the next 4 days, not cooling in sight. I'm aware of the hot days in Greece but was hoping that it will cool down a bit by mid August. Our plane lands in Athens on the 16th of August.

Posted by
9 posts

I'm aware of the hot days in Greece but was hoping that it will cool
down a bit by mid August.
Mmmm, I don think that will be the case. As far as I know, August temps in Athens don't vary

much between July and August so expect it to be plenty hot.
https://www.holiday-weather.com/athens/averages/august/
https://www.accuweather.com/en/gr/athens/182536/august-weather/182536
I was told that August 15 was the magic date when the weather started becoming cooler. Evidently a folk tale based on what you've written above.
I didn't think the hot weather was the only factor in the devastating fires however.