Please sign in to post.

Ferry tickets in advance

We will be traveling from Athens to Paros on May 30 and from Paros to Santorini on June 2. We plan to take Blue Star ferry both times. I have read that there is no need to buy advance tickets during this time period as it will not be that busy. I am just wondering for times sake if it is best to obtain the Athen-Paros tickets in advance as our ferry departs at 7:30am and we would like to avoid standing in a long time at the port ticket office. Maybe this is not a problem? What time should we arrive at the port ticket office if we buy them just before boarding? Can we buy them at the Athens airport. I tried to contact Aktinos travel office at the airport and they say they have no info yet on Blue Star. Is there a travel office in Athens near Attalos Hotel where we can get them if necessary to avoid long lines? Any information will be helpful. There are 4 of us traveling together. Should we buy economy or economy airline seating?

Posted by
3320 posts

You do not say where you'll be coming from, to reach Piraeus for the 7:30 AM sailing. Coming straight from the airport in the wee hours? Or from Central Athens, after a stay in Athens? If you give key details we can answer a specific need, not have to list varied scenarios. Here's my standard advice about Blue Star travel:

•TICKET CLASS -

(1) Economy Ticket entitles you to seating in a plastic chair on deck or chairs in indoor cafes, or along corridors. These seats are first-come-first-served (see strategy below). Since Paros-Santorini is about 3 hours, you could do fine with this (see below)
(2) "Reserved economy" (€5 more) seat numbered reserved, upholstered,lean-back lever, foot rests, tray table, lots of legroom. I dislike "Aircraft" label; these are nothing like the TORTURE SEATS airlines inflict on us today! Since Piraeus - Paros is 4 hours you may wish to pop for Reserved. NOTE: A reserved-ticket holder is free to sit on deck wherever there's a chair. The bonus is, if you later want to lean back, snooze, read, snack, go indoors & yr reserved seats are waiting. Also, you could choose Plain Economy, and if you change your mind, you could find a steward & upgrade immediately for reserved.

RESERVED LOCATIONS:
(1)Central area: like a large movie theatre; 400+ seats, 2 aisles, brighltly lit, big TVs on nonstop.
(2)Side areas: much smaller, 50 seats per compartment, 1 aisle, 2-3 seats per side, next to large windows. Much quieter, often TV not on. Always ASK for SIDE COMPARTMENT seating.

PURCHASE OPTIONS
(1) AIRPORT: Aktina Travel, supposedly open 24/7, but a I read that it closes 9 PM. I cannot imagine why they say there is no info on Blue Star; those schedules are posted 12 months in advance. I think you should email back and ask (threateningly) for an answer or say u will contact their main office by Syntagma. You Should be able buy online & pick up on your arrival, OR buy on the spot.
(2) IN-ATHENS PURCHASE - there are agencies in almost every corner of central Athens if you don't want to do the above; at any office, airport or in town, there will be a small convenience fee. The tickets themselves are fixed-price.
IMPORTANT NOTE- in the past, when one booked Reserved tix online, it wasn't possible to specify location, but when you bought at an agency, they'd give you window or near-window location if available.

TIP FOR BEST DECK SEATS: - Get to the dock early, to get near front of line. When line "opens," there's a rush to board. Have 2 of your party handle stacking your 4 rolling bags on the entry (vehicle) level, while the 2 nimblest ones zip up the escalator & stairs to back deck to snag 4 seats. On Midweek, you can get good location. The Same strategy applies for boarding @Paros for Santorini only more so, on a Saturday. However, many deck tourists will disembark at Naxos so you can act fast to snare their chairs.

FINAL TIP: You can get very relaxed & dozy, gazing at the wake, but when the Loudspeaker blares PAROS about 15 minutes out, do not delay. Take elevator or stairs down to (dark) vehicle deck to retrieve your bags. The Ferry does NOT Tarry, it departs very soon, and you wouldn't want to be rushing out as the ramp lifts!

Posted by
985 posts

I am going to Greece in October. There is such a thing as buying ferry ticket in advance. The risk in buying in advance is, suppose something bad happens to my parents just before my travel date? In that case, what about my hotel and plane tickets? Is there such a thing as trip cancellation insurance? It worth it? What if all the tickets on the boat you want are sold out when you arrive? I am buying my ferry tickets before I arrive in Greece. If you are not worrying about whether you will have to cancel your whole trip at the last minute, I don't see why you shouldn't buy your ferry tickets on the internet before you leave for Greece.

Posted by
3320 posts

FLASH -- For some time there has been an announced strike of civil servants on May 30, affecting mainly govt. offices, hospitals, post offices the like. HOWEVER, a Trip Advisor posting just a couple of hours ago says the Seaman's Union has voted to Join the strike: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k11505245-Civil_servants_union_federation_ADEDY_Strike_on_May_30-Crete.html -- there is as yet no info in English (I checked the English Edition of Athens newspaper)

This is a GOOD reason not to buy tickets in advance... it's a hassle to get them changed.

NOTE -- If you act fast, there is an air option still available. https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/book-a-flight/ -- as of 6 PM, there was room on the 10:35 flight for 4 passengers, for €168 + taxes = €255 total. The Blue Star Reserved would be about $40 each ... but a bargain is no good if it's on strike. I'd advise FAST ACTION.

Posted by
198 posts

Thanks, Janet for the info on the strike. I booked on Aegean Air just now. Now I will just buy my ferry tickets to Santorini while I am in Paros.

Posted by
985 posts

The posters questions seems to relate to me because I was thinking of taking two ferry trips, to Crete and back to the mainland. Does this mean I should change my itinerary and buy plane tickets? How do you know that the airplane pilots won't go on strike? How can I show up at Pireas without a ferry ticket, just hoping there will be space available?

Posted by
3320 posts

Mike mike, calm down. Take a Xanax. This is a ONE_DAY Strike in May. In which the airline pilots are not participating. They never do. What is more, You are going in September. For heavens sake Mike. Maybe you'd better purchase an additional set of tickets to take your mummy along, since you seem as nervous as a little boy. We are here to help grown-ups with their actual problems, not middle-age men with unending anxiety. Please only post about real problems.