Please sign in to post.

Ferries from Piraeus to Hydra Departing October 17 - Returning October 25, 2023

I have read RS' Greece book regarding ferries from Piraeus to Hydra. Rick recommends taking the larger/slower ferries (Hellenic Seaways and Blue Star Ferries) for less chances of the ferries being cancelled. When looking into their websites to review/order tickets it looks as though the their schedules end on October 1st.? Can you tell me if that is correct and if so do I only have the option of taking the faster ferries that have the greater chance of getting cancelled.

Thank you,
Valerie

Posted by
34 posts

We found when booking ferries in Greece, you can only book a few months in advance. More options will appear as you get closer to the preferred date. We were in Hydra in December 2022 didn't have an issue booking a ferry to Hydra and from Hydra to Piraeus.

Posted by
2 posts

Hello Gal,

Thank you for your quick response, So you're saying I should be able to book ferry selections included on the larger ferries i.e., found on the Hellenic Seaways and Blue Star sites?

Best regards.

Posted by
1 posts

As I understand it, there are only small, fast ferries to Hydra - I think the port is too small to cope with big ships. I have checked your dates on https://www.ferryhopper.com/en/ - best site for checking all ferries schedules to and between the islands in my opinion. No sign of Blue Star but 5 a day each way, 4 are from Hellenic, all fast, no slow ships. It was a Flying Cat I took when I visited a few years ago.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Posted by
379 posts

There are no slow ferries that go to Hydra afaik. They're all catamarans.

I would not worry about cancellation too much. The Saronic islands are not exposed to the Meltemi winds which are the primary cause of ferry cancellations in the summer for the Cyclades & Dodecanese routes

Posted by
5768 posts

You can book the same sailings on Hellenic and Blue Star, as both companies are subsidiaries of the same parent company, Attica.

So you take your choice as to which company you book with.