Please sign in to post.

Euros

We Monday evening, 3/9 for Greece. We liked using our Visa card while traveling during spring Brel last year in Italy. We want to take some euros for food/street vendors or paid bathrooms. It’s just me and my husband, and our vackboacks. We’ll have our own rental car so no need for taxis, etc. What are your suggestions for an amount needed to eat one meal a day with a street vendor? Or do fewer places take visa in Greece and I’m forgetting something else we’ll nees them for? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
7514 posts

I am a firm believer that you need the equivalent of a hotel room and a meal in cash at just about all times. As an example, over the last two weeks in Portugal, I ran into two restaurants and a wine bar that only took cash, and at one hotel, they could not get the card machine to work, so cash was the only option. I keep about 100 euro on me, use cash for things under 5 or 10 euro. On some trips 100 to 200 euro is plenty, but you need to look into the ability to get cash, either using your debit card at an ATM, or even your Visa card as a cash advance at an ATM (you will need a PIN for your credit card). If you wind up needing cash, you will want to replenish.

Posted by
2073 posts

I’m curious if there are street food vendors in Greece. I didn’t see any. Did I miss them?

Posted by
11507 posts

Where exactly in Greece are you going ?

Food is fairly cheap at restaurants in most places - and we almost always use cash the try pro places we eat and stay at seem to prefer it with a few places we’ve stayed only accepting cash ( credit card transactions cost them money remember )

Posted by
1157 posts

Greece passed a law stating that all businesses must accept credit cards. If a place says their CC machine is "broken" then tell them you don't have any cash. The machine will suddenly be fixed.

Greece is one of the least expensive places to eat out. Obviously you can spend almost any amount anywhere but you don't have to in Greece. Most of my meals are under 13 euros including 1/4 carafe of wine. Many of my meals are in the 9-11 euros range with wine.

There are few "street vendors" in Athens or elsewhere. There are however many tavernas that have outside seating for dining. A great lunch or even a meal is a Gyro (2 euros and a bottle of beer 2 or 2.50 euros for 5 euros or under). There are small shops where you can buy a Gyro and drink and eat outside especially around Monistiraki Square.

I usually go to local markets to buy food for breakfast and lunches then go out at night.

Check out the many tavernas and meals I've had not only in Athens but all over Greece for most meals under 13 euros with wine:

https://tinyurl.com/yyrqkp2x

Posted by
20 posts

I appreciate all the input and wisdom!!! We fly into Athens and stay the night in Rafina. We then drive to spend time in Delphi, meteora, and Rafplio, ending in Athens for a few days before heading home. I have 165 € but may get a bit more before we leave. Thanks again! All the advice is so helpful :)

Posted by
1157 posts

Did you get your Euros from your local bank in Texas or plan on getting them on arrival in Athens?

You'll get a much better rate if you wait till you arrive at the Athens airport and use one of the ATMs there. Let your bank know where you are going and when.

I wait till I get to the airport and have never had a problem with the ATMs. Do NOT use Euronet as it's a rip off. Bank of Piraeus, Alpha Bank or Euro Bank are the safest.

Make sure you do not click WITH conversion. Also use WITHOUT conversion. ALWAYS accept in Euros and not your currency.

Posted by
191 posts

Having had some unfortunate experiences with street foods abroad, I will use cafes and restaurants whenever possible. From over-cooked gummy corn-on-the cob-on-a-stick to fruit that caused major intestinal distress, just say no. The vendors have no place for a good hand washing and not enough ice to keep cold things at a safe temperature, and never a sneeze guard. I have never seen a thermometer to check holding temps for hot foods. These people are most likely prepping their stock at home in goodness knows what kind of kitchen! I do not want to spoil my trip with food poisoning. Although it seems like fun to eat that, it is just not worth it to me.

Posted by
99 posts

I also haven't noticed a lot of street vendors, since Greek food is not fast food and you would find that restaurants have decent prices. So, go, have a seat in a restaurant and one big meal for one will not cost you more than 3 euros. We are talking about a gyro, or souvlaki with fries, that can be enough for one meal.

Posted by
1157 posts

The only "street" food you'll find in Athens will be vendors selling roasted chestnuts, corn on the cob and a few vendors selling baked goods like Koulouri (a pretzel shaped baked goodie sprinkled with sesame seeds)

Just stop in to any small hole-in-the-wall grill house for great Gyros, souvlaki and other "fast" foods except they won't be the fast foods like McDonalds or Burger King but great, quick and yummy Greek specialties.