Please sign in to post.

Easter in Athens

It turns out our travel plans will have us staying in Athens over Easter. I think we have the Saturday planned but thinking through Sunday. Someone posted about taking the ferry to Aegean that day. Is that a bad idea?

Robin

Posted by
1194 posts

Um, which Easter? You do realize that Greek Orthodox Easter is a week later than western Easter?

According to Google western Easter is on April 21, 2019. Greek Orthodox Easter is on April 28, 2019.

Posted by
108 posts

Yep I realize they are different dates, we will be there over Greek Orthodox Easter. Do you know the answer to my question?

Posted by
3311 posts

Why don't you google "GReek Easter closures of public transport and ferries??" I think you will find pretty much everything closes down for 24 hours... and hard to get arond day before & after also.

Posted by
108 posts

I found my answer another way, the ferries run as normal, some shops closed, some restaurants. But the restaurants that are open have the easter feast, now just checking a couple of items. Btw: I started with google but couldn’t find a definitive answer. Thought maybe someone might know for sure on the forum but only got snarky responses.

Posted by
19641 posts

Yep I realize they are different dates, we will be there over Greek Orthodox Easter. Do you know the answer to my question?

Seems like the snarkiness is coming on the OP's end. Not many people know the difference between the Roman and Greek date difference for Easter. The OP obviously does.