Please sign in to post.

Driving in Greece

I will be in Greece for about 2 1/2 weeks. After my first three days in Athens I want to visit both Meteora and Nafphli, which are in opposite directions. After looking at public transportation options it seems like it might be better to rent a car and then be able to explore more of the area around Nafphli as well. Can someone give me feedback on what driving is like. I seem to find differing opinions and perhaps that is just because everyone has a different level of driving comfort and experience. Is it best to pick it up at the Athens airport? Average cost for a week? Petrol cost? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I tend to be a bit nervous about driving while overseas but am willing to do it if it gives me more time and ability to see things.

Posted by
5261 posts

I seem to find differing opinions and perhaps that is just because everyone has a different level of driving comfort and experience.

You'll get differing opinions on here too for the very same reason.

I've only ever done island driving in Greece so I can't speak for the mainland however my experience of island driving in the Med is that it is often less frenetic than the mainland. I found driving in Greece to be typical of southern Mediterranean driving, i.e. the rules are guidelines only.

Posted by
2768 posts

Athens has slightly aggressive city driving. It’s pretty manageable ( it’s not Rome which is very difficult!), but picking up thre car at the airport lets you avoid that. It’s an easy highway out of the airport, bypassing the city itself. And the rest of the mainland seems super easy. There are some winding mountain roads, which are like such roads anywhere in the world. Drivers pass a lot but I wouldn’t call it aggressive. Inside some small towns the roads get narrow, often better to park in central lots if you don’t have a hotel with parking or know a specific route.

We spent 4 nights in Nafplio, driving around the surrounding area. Nafplio is easy driving, plenty of free parking by the water, clear routes out of town, and good roads.

Really a super easy place to drive. I would 100% recommend it. Driving in Chicago is harder!

Posted by
2497 posts

The hardest thing I found is that I was used to multiple signs telling you of exits and Greek highways don’t have that. Make sure you have either a gps or know the route well. You need to know not just where you want to go but also what towns are in the direction you want to go. For example, nafplio was not listed on the sign on the tollway and I went the wrong way initially.

I didn’t find the driving itself to be that difficult.

We picked up a car in Athens airport.

Posted by
11156 posts

Pick up the car at Athens airport and drive to beautiful Napflion, not difficult at all. Brush up on the Greek alphabet althpugh signage is in English too. Rent tnrough AutoEurope.com and get an IDP at AAA before you leave home.

Posted by
3320 posts

Here's a FAB map - http://euro-map.com/karty-grecii/peloponnes/podrobnaya-turisticheskaya-karta-peloponnesa.jpg - for planning a drive to Nafplio& the surrounding area (argolid). Click and it gets huuuuge. It shows ALL roads from Athens & airport, to the entire Pelopponnese, AND (importantly) the terrain. No worries about driving - if you go from airport u will spend Most of the distance on the most modern highway in greece, multi-lane, divided, AND you won't hve a stop-sign of any kind til past the Corinth Canal. Btw, DO exit briefly there, at sign "Isthmus" if you want to actually SEE the super-deep super-narrow canal, bydriving over the Old Bridge... then u get back on the highway. When you turn S. at exit for Nafplio, you'll be on a smaller road, but little traffice, and its thru a valley, rolling hills, citrus orchards, olive groves, lovely.

Just 2 things to remember about driving in Greece (1) Greek drivers like to pass, so let them! IF road is only 2 lane, slide a bit over onto paved shoulder if a Greek wants to zoom by on a curve; then he's gone & you mosey on. (2) Almost All Greek highways have TWO signs; one, in Greek, comes first, and then about 100 yards on, one in ENglish. IMPORTANT: Greece does not cater to ADHD drivers, the way american highway markers do. In the US, you get at sign, "Exit 34 1 mile," Then "exit 34, 1/2 mile" Then"Exit 34, 1/4 mile" etc. Not in Greece! When the sign says "NAfplio" -- the exit is RIGHT AHEAD... don't woolgather!

If you want to know route/time/petrol & tolls cost, just use the handy-dandy http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes Plug in your departure point (ATH airport) and destination (NAFPLIO) -- be sure the latter is the right one ... and Presto! A map, printed step-by-step directions, Fastest route/recommended route, times, petrol AND tolls. Brilliant. one last thing -- sometimes N. American drivers who zip around on interstates think, Oh I can do it much faster! 50 mph & I'm there. No. Off the big intercity roads, the curves and hills are NOT like home... so believe Michelin. But I gotta tell you, the scenary beats US Rte 80!