Please sign in to post.

docked Piraeus 0730-1630. transport & Best museums for an Athens focus

Piraeus is a cruise stop next May. My only other visit to Athens was also a cruise stop.....43 years ago. That visit was Acropolis and city bus tour.
This visit I had Nat. Archeological Museum and ancient Agora+Museum in my mind. It looks like Acropolis hasn't changed in 40 years. Still under renovations, so I am not very interested in revisiting but the Acropolis Museum could interest me.
I love museums and take my time in them, often wandering every wing and room. I don't shop or li ger over meals.
I note both Agora and NAMuseum open at 8a.m., so I thought to start at the NAMuseum then go to Agora which is more central to a quick lunch stop and final subway ot train back to port.
Is this plan feasible for time available, or should I focus on only one area? Maybe adding Acropolis Museum to Agora instead of NAMuseum? Or just the NAMuseum?
Any recommendation of what public transport to use from port and the travel time involved? Easier to use is the preferred.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
1366 posts

You have several options to get to central Athens from the Cruise Port. It is at least a 20 minute walk from the Cruise Port to the Metro line in Piraeus even longer if you are docked at the B terminal near the mouth of the harbour. The Metro is inexpensive with regular trains to central Athens. Be aware pickpocets work teh metro trains as well as the stations. You have to take real care of your belongings.
The trick though is getting to central Athens early before all the tour buses arrive. Including the walk plus the half hour for the Metro trip and you will be arriving just before 9. I woulds suggest you do the Acropolis Museum and that might inspire you to do the Acropolis again. There has been a lot of restoration done over the past several years and it is certainly more intact that it was 45 years ago.

There is an express bus the X80

You can take a taxi although we found it hard to get one to agree to take us to the Acropolis because they wanted to book a full day tour. That is how we learned how long the walk to the Metro is from the Cruise terminal.

There is the hop on hop off bus. They have pick up locations right at the port.

My best option is to book with a transfer company. We use City cabs citycab dot gr. They will be waiting for you at the cruise terminal at a specific time. They will have a sign with your name on it. It costs the same as a regular taxi.

Here is an excellent piece on transportation in Athens that I found with an internet search.

https://www.davestravelpages.com/how-to-get-from-piraeus-to-athens

Here is what Central Athens is like.
Athens http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632121475515/

Posted by
4300 posts

The Acropolis museum is beautiful but if you haven't been to the Archeological Museum, it would be my top priority. I just went to Athens, 11 years after my previous visit. I did the Acropolis because the other ladies in my group hadn't been to Athens before, but if I were you I would not waste my limited time revisiting it when you have 2 great museum choices.

Posted by
3044 posts

National Archeology Museum is #1 for us. It does not open until 12:30 on Wed or Tues (check website), so take that into account. Acropolis Museum is OK, but if you do NAM, Acropolis Museum adds little save the Greek argument for the return of the Elgin Marbles. The old Agora is very interesting. The Roman Agora is a waste of time.

Posted by
4573 posts

Stanbr, lovely photos. Makes me wish I had more time there. If course, I could go back, but sooner than 43 years. Thanks for the travel time details. Very helpful. My ship might have a shuttle to the transport hub....it if I am lucky, city centre. I have solo traveled several continents so will ensure I am careful on the subway. Valuables buried deep.
Thanks for the Acropolis and Museum feedback. I am there on a Monday. I think it's NAM, old Agora, then whatever time is left. I note the Agora closes at 3...even in the summer. Strange, but then I need to be heading back to port about then anyway.

I think I have to transfer or is it easier to taxi from centre to NAM? From RS book looks like a walk from either subway or bus transfer?

Posted by
585 posts

I used Welcome Pickups on my last visit to Greece. Was picked up right at the port and was in Central Athens in about half an hour. Cost was comparable to taxi fare (it is a set rate). Booked from Canada and paid in advance. I think well worth the cost given the time you will have in port.

I have been to the Acropolis Museum four times now, just love it. I heard that they have now opened to the public the excavations which lie under the museum so guess I need to go back for another visit!

Finally made it to the NAM this time...too much to see there! I was also under time constraints and by the time I had drooled over the Mycenean exhibit, some of the archaic material and some of the bronzes it was time to head out. Interesting to compare a traditional museum built in the late 1800’s with a modern one built 10 years ago.

Posted by
3317 posts

Maria, given your time constraints, you should seriously look at the wonderful FREE audio downloads available at this very site from Rick Steves!! He offers these because he's concerned that people get the most out of a site visit even if their schedules don't work to sign up for a tour with a licensed guide. It is perfrect for your planned visits, because he has an audio tour for the Agora ... AND the "10 best" dont-miss items ore areas in the Nat. Arch. Museum. Go to the ATHENS section on this site, and click on 'Watch read Listen." I trust you have either a "smartphone" or a MP3 player or such. This year I had 2 eager and interested companions who wanted to go to the Nat. Arch Museum, which I've visited many times. I had another commitment so I recommended the Steves audio tour & they were very pleased.

Posted by
11133 posts

If you find you have some extra time left, there are two wonderful small museums not far from Syntagma Square, Benaki Museum and Cycladic Museum. I particularly enjoyed the Cycladic. This, however, was on my second four day trip to Athens so I had a lot of time.

Posted by
4573 posts

@lanlubber. Thanks for the transfer recommendation. As a solo traveller, I rarely consider them, u less a new place like Cairo, but it might be worth the efficiency to get the most out of port time. I love the old museums and am really looking forward to the Mycenae relics.
@Janet, thanks for the audiotape recommendation. Maybe for the Agora. I will listen to the museum audio guides, but I never just accept anyone else's highlights, I am afraid. I spent 7 hours in the Prado one day enjoying what caught my interest....as well as the ones I learned about in high school ddcades before. I would rather do one space well, than rush through several. However,mif the lighting is the kind that saps my energy after 2 hours, then I will be sure to have the guide in case I really have to pick and choose the remaining galleries.
@suki. Thanks for the alternate museum recommendations.