Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Athens

Will be in Athens for 5 nights (4days) in October prior to joining cruise to Crete, Mykonos and Rhodes. Would like to take a day trip out of Athens if possible; looking at Corinth, canal and ruins; Mycenae (been there before); Hydra. While in Athens will be exploring the area behind the Acropolis and the National Archaeological Museum. Any other ideas? Suggestions for who offers tours? One suggestion was Fantasy Travel.

Posted by
11176 posts

Delphi?

If you are doing a cruise among the islands, Hydra may be redundant

Posted by
887 posts

Thanks, am Looking at Delphi but not sure my 70+ year old knees are up to it!

Posted by
3320 posts

You will discover, alas, that your cruise will give you only limited time on any island, more of a sea journey than an island experience .... only hours ashore, little or no time for beaches, and surrounded by crowds. Sunset on an island is really what it's all about but those short cruises hustle you aboard by 4 pm, and u are underway & at dinner (with hundreds of other people) by the time the sun goes down. We tell people this over and over, but they seem to need to learn by doing. If you want to have any idea of an island experience, your best bet would be to go to a nearby one, and stay overnight.... and for a reachable island , I much prefer going to AEGINA rather than to Hydra. The latter is a much longer ferry ride, also is no-cars island, no beach, main attraction is harbor town and donkey carts... if you're not a walker, good luck!

AEGINA is less than an hour by ferry, DOES offer car rental or inexpensive taxi (but the road traffic is VERY light), has a stunning temple high on a hill mid-island, several lovely beaches. Take Green line Metro to Piraeus (note; take lightweight overnight bag, and DO be alert for pickpockets; men, do NOT keep stuff in your pockets!). Then at any harbor ticket booth, buy ticket on the next CONVNTIONAL ferry (NOT hydrofoils which are closed-in, NO views). Sit on deck, enjoy the fascinating seascape .... huge steamers, sleek seajets, sailboats ... and view of harbor on approach. If you want to stay overnight, Here's an attractive cafe & lodging on the best beach -- http://www.aeginagreece.com/aegina-island/directory/aegina-listing/aegina-island-spots/beaches/la-palma-marathonas If you still want just a Day trip, catch a 9 or 10 am ferry, stay til after sunset, and sail back by starlight. Here's a great photo album of Aegina Daytrip: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36264706@N03/sets/72157621604646139/detail/

As for other day trips, yes I think Delphi as a daytrip can be stressful on knees AND spirits (3.5 hour bus-ride each way) ... And Corinth ruins without (costly) guide is hard to interpret, most rewarding for well-versed ancient-Greece buffs. Aegina can be appreciated even w. NO background; its tiny museum, right by harbor, has Gigantic Man-size storage jugs ... and the Temple of Aphaia is the Best-preserved temple of any greek island.

Posted by
887 posts

Janet - i used to feel as you about cruising but as I've gotten older I've learned there are advantages to them, especially small ships. Don't be so down on those of us who choose to take a cruise! I live on an Island so am familiar with sunrises, sunsets and seascapes!

Thanks for confirming my concerns with Delphi.

I will look at Aegina. A good suggestion.

Posted by
1157 posts

If you have not been to Athens before then it will be recommended to spend a minimum of 2 if not 3 days exploring the city and all it has to offer. Don't overlook Athens, it has a lot to offer and a much more friendlier and less expensive way than most other European cities.

Lots of archological/historic sites to explore, museums, Plaka, Monistiraki, Syntagma, Psiri, Anafiotika, Central Markets and lots more.

If you must take a day trip I can also recommend Aegina, an overlooked Greek Island just a short ferry ride away. You can go early morning, exploring the island and return late afternoon-early evening and still have a night out in Athens.

Going to Corinth, Myceanae, Hydra will eat up a good day each. Don't try to do to much in the time you have . . . you'll end up stressed, spend more time getting from Point A to Point B and not really getting a feel for what you are experiencing.

Athens and most of Greece is something you can do on your own, at your own pace and at no cost.

Posted by
887 posts

Thanks Tommy but have stayed in Athens a number of times hence the thought to go somewhere out of the city for a break. Aegina is being seriously looked at!

Posted by
1157 posts

OK . . . Aegina would be a great choice but have you looked into Nafplio . . . one of Greece's loveliest towns and only about 2+ hours away either by bus or car rental?

Pretty waterfront, excellent Old Town with historic sites just a few minutes walk away. A short ride to Myceanea, Epidavrous, Tyrns and other world-class archeological sites.

Great food, friendly people and not to far from the "New" Town with small, locally-owned shops offering all kinds of Greece specialties and products.

Nafplio would be a top choice for an escape from Athens and if you leave early enough you can have a great time in the town and still get back to Athens for a night out!

Posted by
887 posts

Thanks Tommy, been there! Lovely place indeed.

Thanks to those who responded. I think I will either head to Aegina or stay in Athens.