Please sign in to post.

Critique my itinerary

Here are the particulars: me and my husband, active 60 yr olds, first time to Greece. 14 days mid-Sept. I have just the framework planned, and would love some comments.

Fly in to Athens. 3 nights in Plaka area. Do all the tourist sights ( Acropolis, museums, etc).

Day 5- pick up rental car, drive to Olympia. 1 night.

Days 6-7 - Kardamylii. Relax, drive Mani peninsula

Day 7 - Monemvasia. Is this worth the drive? Sounds interesting, but just one night, probably.

Days 8-11 - Nafplio. Relax, side trips to Epidavros, Mycenae.

Days 12-13 - drop car in Ermioni, ferry to Hydra. Relax.

Day 14 - ferry to Athens. Home next day.

Comments? We like history, nature, walks, food. Not so much art, but do enjoy ruins.

Thanks!

Priscilla

Posted by
21 posts

Your itinerary sounds wonderful! We did something similar last year and had the best times.

Only, I would recommend you reserve those days to Athens for the last days of your trip - and 2 nights in Plaka are sufficient (we usually go to the Athens Gate Hotel - I highly recommend it). Instead, spend more time in Nafplio and visit the city and its surroundings. Or spend the night in Hydra - it is charming and romantic.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Posted by
3320 posts

Nice relaxed trip ... but at the end, a bit of a hassle. Greece is not like USA, with rental cars... do't have huge fleets of cars always on the move from 1 place to another. Therefore, you could get charged HUGE drop-off fee for leaving in Ermioni. (agency would hve to send another car, w 2 drivers, to pick up your car, hence €€€ fee). I suggest you drive your car to your rental agency's piraeus office and drop it off there -- it's just as fast really, as finding y our way doen to Ermioni. Then u can jump on the soonest ferry to Hydra. BTW, I know Hydra is the ONE island Rick ever mentions ... but if you want to swim, Hydra has no beaches... plus you do have those constant excursion ferries. It's a pretty harbor, but for a relaxing stay, I need a beach, but that's just me.

Have you ever looked at Aegina?? Way closer than Hydra, so it's a weekend fave of Athenians, but during week, very serene... I enjoyed 2 days there, a few years back. Take "regular" ferry, (1 hr) open decks, to watch the sailboats & cruis ships go by... not a hydrofoil ( 45 mins, enclosed, no deck or view). This foto album shows day-trip http://www.pacifictravel.gr/aboutus.html ... if u want to stay on a beach, this little place http://www.aeginagreece.com/aegina-island/directory/aegina-listing/aegina-island-spots/beaches/la-palma-marathonas -- on Marathona beach has good reviews.
Another little island, even less known to US tourists is Angistri, which is right NEXT to Aegina, eiterh 1 hr direct from Pireause or you take a 10 minute motor boat from Aegina ... Like Hyrdra, it's car-free, but with beaches, and you can rent bicycles ... and Rosy's Little Village http://www.rosyslittlevillage.com on its own little beach.. has been getting quiet raves for years. 1 hour from Pireaus & feels like a world away. I'm thinking about it for the ending of a trip, next June. You may wish to look into it as well.

Posted by
13 posts

Priscilla, I am sitting in my. Hotel in Monemvasia currently. Doing similar route as you are planning.
We are doing-
Athens -3, ( one day was 3 island excursion, inc hydra) Athens is good to get your feet wet in the Greek culture. Great public transportation, we got 2 day transportation passes out of the machine- 4E( nice change after. London which was E12- Stayed at Davini Carneval. 5 star, very inexpensive. 7 min walk to metro. Two stops out f center city. E-90. got it on Booking.com, which I had a lot of good luck on.

Delphi-rent a car and drive to and spend 2 nights. 2( cooler, quite, inexpensive, really nice)
Olympia- stayed at Pension Posidon, George the owner, ran the tour h in the Olympic Games x3, he has pictures and his torch.
Kardamyli-2( incredible didn't want to Leave. Must stay at Annika ot sister hotel Lakonia. Got it out of sleeves book. Incredible beach and pool access. Rooms ha be mini fridge that they presto I with local wine and milk. Incredible.

Monemvasia- kinda have to see it, but was really quick. Stayed at flower on Monemvasia- bare bones basic . I splurged for bigger room and balcony with view. e105, clean but basic- it's 95F, here now, never cools down.
Naufpolio - ( supposed to be specacular, Mycenea and effadariuos side trips - no resorption a going to find a small room to rent.
Corinth-no reservations
Athens-2- thinking about what the other comment guy said about Athens gate. Will check out out.
" my husband had to fly home for work, so here with my 17 y/o son... Wouldn't recommend it... I am basically alone" Greece could be very romantic, lots of families with children under 13. And couples.

What would I have done differently,
Nothing really
No flushing of toilet paper out of Athens-
Learn some phrases, hello- YASAS
Please- -para-ka-LO
Good morning- kalimera
Oh- outside kadimyli- drive to kasinia- it's in guildbook, BUT ON THE LAST HAIRPIN TURN, with the DONT CRASH mirror. DONT DRIVE IT. Park outside and walk up. It's the town square. There are a bunch of 80- 90year old locals. Go to the cafe and sit and eat or drink something. Then walk around. Very traditional village. Be quite. Don't expect English. Looks incredible. ... I drove into the city center and the locals looked at me like I was crazy. I couldn't figure of how to get out. One f the locals could say"welcome and city center". My son was so petrified by the ordeal he wouldn't let me go back up and see it. Go see it.. It was incredible looking.
Sturdy shoes, now 95f with % humidity.

Oh- rental car- my husband used rental cars.com. We had a disaster. Went to pick up car at airport, confirmation said Ace rental cars, there is no office for Ace at airport. Number on form was in Portugal and not a working number. It ended up being given to Goldcar- which was fabulous once we got there.

I can't think of anything else. Hope you have a great time.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Karen

Posted by
3250 posts

I'd consider this:

Athens-3 nights

Nafplio-3 -4 nights (daytrips to Epadavros, Mycenae, and we liked Nemea)

Monemvasia--personally I'd skip it and add time to Kardamyli and the Mani Peninsula

Kardamyli-at least 3 nights--we loved Vardia Hotel

Olympia-1 night

Hydra-2 nights

Athens-last night?