Please sign in to post.

Crete May 2022

My husband and I plan to visit Greece in late May/early June 2022. Our plan is to spend 11 nights in Crete and would like some feedback on how to divide those days. We are in our early 60s, and like variety in travel when we travel. We enjoy most everything including cultural sites, museums, picturesque towns, beaches, and hiking. We plan to fly to Chania for our first night in Greece. We will fly back to Athens from Irakleio and go from there to Delphi and Meteora.

Our plan so far:

Chania-4 nights
Chora Safkion (Sfakia in some books) 3 nights
Irakleio 2 nights

2 additional nights for Chania, West coast, or Chora Safkion (help please)

My questions are:
We had settled on being in Crete beginning May 28 but now my husband is reading that the wild flowers are gone by end of May. Would coming a week earlier matter for flowers? I want to be able to swim so don’t want to come too early.

Where should we put our two extra nights? We want to explore the beaches of the west coast. Should we spend one or two nights there and if so where (perhaps Kastelli?) or would we be better off to do day trips from Chania and add night or nights there? I had also thought of one additional night in Chania or Kastelli and putting the other on the south coast (so 4 nights there).

We want to go to the south coast. Is Chora Safkion a good choice? Other alternatives you have liked? Some things I have read suggested staying in the mountains instead of the coast. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
1370 posts

Hi Beth. We too are planning a visit to Crete in May 2022. We live in hope that it will work out. We used to visit in May after the 15th. The weather seemed to change over the next decade and we now come later in May for better weather. As I recall there were still flowers particularly Oleander and Poppies.
Chania makes a good base for exploring the west. we pretty much do not rent a car while we are in Chania no use at all in the old town area. You can rent a car later to explore. You might be interested in Ancient Aptera it is mainly Roman era ruins but there is 5,000 years of history spread out over a mountain top. Its 18 km east of Chania. Bring water there are no services up there. Its an easy drive.
Beaches. Chania has a town beach its OK just a 15 minute stroll along the seashore beyond the west city walls. About 3km west is Chrisi Akti . That is Golden Beach. One can walk there 3km take the bus or drive. For an excursion you can go to Kissamos and take the boat trip to Gramovossa and Balos. Gramovossa has a nice beach a shipwreck and a 14th century pirate fortress to explore. After 2 hours the boat continues to Balos lagoon for about 3 hours. Its an amazing beach with a shallow lagoon and is surrounded by mountains.

Further west you will find Falasarna which is a series of beaches with some waves. There is an ancient site there. If you have an I phone you can download an app that recreates the buildings just by pointing the phone. We plan to do that next May.
Elafinissi is the furthest beach essentially on the south coast. It has pinkish sand. It too has a loagoon and that area is crowded but if you wade through the lagoon you will find some dunes and a smaller beach which is a couple of kilometers long. Bathing suits get skimpy at the far end.
We will be doing these beaches next year on day trips from Chania. Your plan to move to Kissamos Kastelli works and cuts down on driving time but for us Chania is magical especially in the evening in the old town and harbour.

Several times in the past we have taken the bus across the white mountains to the small village of Sougia due south from Chania. It is small with about 20 hotels. The bus ride is worth making the trip. There are three tavernas there that are outstanding, Rebetako the best, Polyformos for lamb on the spit and Ancorage for stuffed mushrooms. You can hike up int the mountians, hike or take the water taxi to ancient Lissos around the headland and spend tine lounging in a seafront taverna enjoying the beach. It is a pebble beach but the water is crystal clear. There are sea caves at the eastern end of the beach. Skimpy bathing suits there. From Sougia you can take the ferry to Agia Roumeli where the Samaria gorge terminates. You can take your luggage and leave it at a left luggage taverna there and walk up the gorge which is reasonably flat perfect for 60 somethings with bad knees to enjoy. There is a second ferry that takes you to Chora Sfakion where you can catch a bus back to Chania. This is just personal but we have stayed in Chora Sfakion severl times and every time something has happened to spoil the experience, a major storm, hotel not ready for guests so we had to wait 4 hours to check in, and a Cretan music festival outside our hotel that ended a 3am. Nothing wrong with Chora Sfakia but thrice burned is enough. On our last trip we did Chania, Sougia took the bus back to Chania and took the bus to Rethymnon changed bus and went to Plakias. It may have the best beach of them all. As a bonus there are several other beaches within 3km so even when the wind blows there is a high probability that one of teh other beaches wil be calm. One year Plakias beach was empty because of a huge storm but Souda beach 3km away had nice surf and little wind.
I am running out of room. Images on my next post.
S

Posted by
1370 posts

Here are some images from our trips to west Crete mentioned above.

Chania Sougia and Plakias 2019
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157711266062752

Ancient Aptera near Chania and Meladoni Cave in Rethymnon area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157672118379637

Gramovossa,Balos and Elafonissi https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157698932695812
Plakias https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157665045541263
Back in Plakias https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157688831637594

Ferry trip Libyan Sea https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157653434073393
Samaria Gorge from the bottom https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157670610409530
Crete Libyan Sea villages https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157645487373222

Sougia https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157696633322660/with/45364786821/

My friend Janet, says my photos can make the even an unattractive place look good. An afternoon and evening in Heraklion before a flight away is enough for us (unless you intend to visit the museum and Knossos)

Castello Heraklion https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157686964935102
Heraklion https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157655935354556

I forgot, there was a new tour company just started on our last visit to Chania. It was called Smart Tours and was out of the KTEL bus station. It is a small tour max 12 people and it went to places we have never experienced before. The driver and guide developed these tours based on her relationships.

We took the wine and olive tasting tour 25 euros each. It took us through countryside to a olive oil plantation, to the 2,000 year old olive tree where the Olympics take a small branch to award to the winner of the marathon. It included a winery, a monastery and a stop at a small village where the taverna had a table set up for us loaded with Greek snack dishes. The only charge was for the raki we drank. There are about 5 different tours. We plan on taking some of them next year. Images are in the 2019 album.

Posted by
11152 posts

We spent two weeks based in Chania, Crete a few years ago. We did day trips all over western Crete including the beaches of Falasarna and Elafonisi. We drove over the mountains to Chora Skafion, parked the car and took a ferry to pretty, secluded Loutro for two to three nights, beaches, beautiful water. Historic area regarding battles with the Turks. Others there were northern European and Greek. Then returned to Chora Skafion and drove east to nearby to beaches including Frangokastello. All I recall of Chora Skafion was ferry dock and parking lot. I would not stay there with much better options not far away.
Our Greek friends go to Frangokastello and Loutro..

Posted by
2494 posts

Thank you Stan and Suki for all the wonderful feedback. You certainly have collectively talked me out of Chora Safkion! I will look into Loutro. Do you remember where you stayed Suki? Frangokastello I think is a resort, which is not my preference.

I have taken note that both of you happily located yourself in Chania for extended times.

Stan-my husband who is a horticulturalist would love the tour you describe. We were in Northern Italy this past August and he lamented us not visiting a winery as we zoomed by them in a bus. I will keep it in mind! And so fabulous you plan to visit again this next May. Watching this past summer opening and closings, I think Greece is one of the surer bets for a visit in 2022.

And our 2 nights in Iraklio do include a visit to Knossos and the Archaeological Museum. It would seem like we would need a full day and thus 2 nights. I would also like to visit Gorty but not sure yet quite how to manage that.

And Suki--what a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by
3320 posts

I saw your query this morning Beth and I said aha, just wait a few hours and Stanbr will post a splendid itinerary with all details & photos, and then I can copy it and use it forever! (with credit of course). And of course, he did. The only drawback is that now I can picture BOTH you 2 couples delighting in Western Crete next May, while I shall be in Philadelphia at the pool, pouting!

I've been to Crete about 6?7? times but not for about 8 years, so I defer to Stanbr on all things sightseeing & transport. He & I for years have been competing on favorite moderate-price Chania pensions on Theotokoupolou, the lovely flagstoned lane just to the left of Old Town Harbor, just steps from that famous view but serene for late-night rest. His fave, Pension Nora, I gather has closed. So I'll offer 3 options -- and all THREE of them are the very closest to sea... all riht at the start of the lane as it comes up from the seafront park & parking lot. All 3 are in old-mansion buildings with front balconies with side-sea views. In order from (slightly)upscale to truly budget, they are:

• ELIA PALAZZO HOTEL - https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/palazzo-old-town-chania.html - Stayed here when it was just "Palazzo" & had Giant ancient key for ancient front door after desk closed. It was bought by a chain but just re-decorated, fancier linens. Room fridge, no DIY meal facilities, serves breakfast. Ask for front balcony room!

• HERA STUDIOS - https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/hera-studios.html RIght next door, thus 50 feet closer to the sea! I think it only has about 6 units - all with kitchenettes I believe. While staying at Palazzo I spotted it, talked to owner. Over the years have sent a number of people here who liked it. Doesn't seem to have its own website any more. Also, I saw it was also renting via AirBnB but would recommend using booking.com -- these days more reliable. Reviews indicate that the larger units are the best.

• CASA DI PIETRA - http://www.casadipietra.gr -- Website hasn't changed in 20 years ... & from what I read, Joseph's place is still a treat. Quirky townhouse, just 4 rooms ... biggest has front balcony, 3 single beds, others have balconies overlooking the ancient wall.. there's also a roof terrace. No kitchenette, but fridge & electric kettle -- and he supplies Fresh Fruit every AM, & greets u with a bottle from his vineyard. I found this budget gem about 15 yrs ago, His desk had a wine-cask & he gave samples. Next trip, I stayed at Palazzo & just stopped by to say Hi as we headed out to Falassarna -- he didn't mind I'd stayed elsewhere, gave me a bottle, "for sunset" -- and it was indeed memorable. Trip Advisor has enthusiastic reviews - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189415-d653317-Reviews-or10-Casa_di_Pietra-Chania_Town_Chania_Prefecture_Crete.html#REVIEWS Joseph doesn't do booking agencies, but you deal direct via e-mail & can get all questions answered directly by owner.

Posted by
2494 posts

Thanks Janet. It would be funny if Stan and I were in Crete at the same time. Small world.

Of the places you suggest, I like Casa Di Pietra the best. The Palace one which you said was bought out by a chain has that chain look to it--looks like a Holiday Inn in brighter colors to me!

Posted by
11152 posts

Frankocastello did not resemble a resort, rather a beautiful beach area. There were some places to stay. Looked like simple condos. There were some areas of “organized beaches” which are common all over Greece, an umbrella and a lounge chair for rent but did not affect the beautiful beach.
Loutro: We stayed at Hotel Porto Loutro in a building right on waterfront, above the narrow beach area. There were other hotels. It was fine and very inexpensive. We told the owners they could double the price and it still would be a steal. A Greek travel agent recommended it and booked it for us.

Posted by
3320 posts

Yes, you'd like Casa di Pietra. But don't x out Palazzo unless it's gotten very expensive ... it can't really be transformed into a "chain clone" despite ownership, because it's still a 400-year-old town-house with only about 12 rooms ... and it does have a lovely shared roof terrace besides the room balconies.

Posted by
2494 posts

Suki--You are right, of course, about Frankocastello. I was relying on a guidebook that mentioned resorts and had no accommodation recommendations. I went online after reading your post and found a website with accommodations and pictures. It is truly beautiful!

I had seen Hotel Porto Loutro onlne but glad to know you liked it. I was thinking Loutro but after seeing Frankocastello I am not sure anymore! One advantage of Frankocastellois that it would be easier to do other things but of course, that is the charm of Loutro. Too many choices!

Janet, Palazzo seems to be priced similarly to other hotels. I found another hotel at the far end of the same street (away from water) that is priced similarly to the Palace--Casa Kallergi. Seems silly but I am a very visual person and just don't like the way the Palace is decorated--we will be in Chania between 4 and 6 nights so not an overnight.

Are you familiar with that end of the street? Mostly wondering if the area is quiet like the Palace and Casa di Pietra are.

Posted by
3320 posts

Beth -- re Chania lodgings --- I jumped on booking.com , and I see that the lane is really filling up for your dates!! It's pent-up demand... people are determined to get to Crete! Am puzzled by your decor-aversion at Palazzo... that Superior Balcony room is really aces, my friend had that room -- and u don't like the headboard design? Ah Well... in that case, Casa di Pietra certainly wouldn't be snazzy enough pour vous. About Kallergis, that Jr Suite is not as $$ as Palazzo. Noise? In my experience, the closer you are to the inland end of THeotokopoulu, the more traffic day/night. Where it feeds into Zambeliou, that's where the crowd turns in heading for the Harbour square. Back up the street, near Palazzo, there are a couple of quiet little "side lanes" leading off Theo, and there's one place, Iason Studios, that's been there forever, gets reliable reviews, there seems to be a balcony double room still available, on 1st floor (our 2nd floor) ... has kitchenette. Maybe not as fancy as Kallergi, but it's family-run. Choice is yours.

Posted by
2494 posts

Janet, I have noticed that some places are filling up but others do not even have their rooms listed as available past November. So a mixed bag. We are still sorting out how to allocate our days-in particular whether to stay near the beaches in west Crete or do day trips. That is why I said 4-6 days. Any opinions?

It isn’t the style that bothers me so much as the colors, although I will give another look at the room you are recommending. It is useful to know that noisier on the street away from the water. I am pretty adverse to noise. Not sure exactly what price point we are looking but I do know my husband is not fond of Greek hand held traditional style showers which may push us up to price wise to more renovated properties . It was his only complaint about the places I rented in Greece when we came before! It never occurred to me that it would be a big deal.

Stan, the street view is great in the pictures you shared. I saw the name of another place I have looked at-Studio Kiera in your pictures.

It is so much fun to be planning a trip back to Greece!

Posted by
3320 posts

Beth if your husband is not able to deal with hand-held showers if he cannot adjust to that, perhaps he should not leave the USA. In Greece the only places that always always have the wall-mounted shower are the big chain hotels -- hilton, marriott, etc (and BTW in most other places, there's a hook on the wall where you can suspend the hand-shower head). Does it also freak him out to have to put bathroom tissue in a bin? Ewww. This is why travel is broadening, it introduces you to new things. This reminds me of a person I counselled last year --he was annoyed that in Greece their family of 4 could not readily book everywhere his accommodation preference -- a large room with 2 queen-size beds, next to a pool. He said, it's so easy to find that in America. I responded yes, he could find those 2 queen-beds plus pool readily -- but then he would not be in Greece, he'd be in a Red Roof Inn or Quality Court, listening to the semi's roar by on Interstate 80. Anybody who needs to have things exactly to their specifications is only safe when staying home.

As to how to sort out day-trips & short overnithgts in Crete, perhaps Stanbr's post will help. The problem is, the best beaches are not 5 minutes from Chania... and the beaches i the south are loooong day-trips. Perhaps if you stretch your budget you could achieve a "have your cake & eat it too" Solution. It would be to stay at a stunning beach-side place -- Hotel Ammos -- just to the West of Chania. It's right on the sand, AND has a pool, AND a noted Cretan chef.... PLUS, on the inland side of its building the local bus stops right in front & takes u to central Chania in 15-20 minutes. Rave reviews for years -- problem is only 30 rooms & hard to book. Here's their website - http://www.ammoshotel.com/ -- and a less-fawncy website https://www.hotelsofgreece.com/crete/ammos/ that describes it more succinctly.

My own solutions have been to stay in Chania maybe 3 days, then move on. Here are 3 routes I've taken, Stanbr has many more --
(1) spent entire day #1 exploring old town. On day #2, we drove to near Kissamos, and drove SOUTH thru the Topolian Gorge down to the "chestnut village" (Elon) then back to Chania. In gorge u can walk up a cliffside to stone-age cave "repurposed" as a shrine to St. Sophia (but it's very pagan). Next day we checked out and drove on the inland Old Road (many villages & goats) to near Rethymnon, then south thru Spili...... visited Phaistos, Stayed At Matala (NOT at tacky shore hotels, instead at cute back-roads Villa Dimitri). Later we drove N.E. thru wine country to Hraklion Area.
(2) started same way, but at Elon turned WEST to Coast (scarey road, great views), N. to Falassarna, stayed 2 nights at marvy little Petalida hotel on top of Bluff above beach (owners are fishermen, nightly serve the day's catch). Then drove Eatward on the Big North Shore Road ... stopped at Rethymnon JUST for the Fortezza... later on went inland to Great Unforgettable (sad) Cave Melidoni. Stopped for 2 nights at Great secret beach on edge of Ag. Pelagia (this is ruined now alas).
(3) Went south on road BEFORE rethymnon, leading to IMBROS GORGE. Left car, walked down gorge, took taxi (truck) back to car, drove car down gorge-edge road (28 switchbacks!), found hotel at Frangokastello (yes it's lovely beach but Veeeery shallow... u walk about 200 yards to get to swim depths) . Took ferry from Chora Sfakion to Loutro, then took the cliffside walk BACK ... Do NOT do this if you have acrophobia, but it was a thrill. Then we drove a mountain road to Spili (my companion was ACE driver; this was scarey). Stayed at Matala, drove N.E. stopped at Gortys, ended up at Ferry in Heraklion.

Posted by
1157 posts

I stayed at Jason (Iason) Studios in Chania a number of years ago just off Theotokopolou St. Nothing fancy but all the basics like kitchenette, nice size bed and bathroom and balcony overlooking a small side lane with views of neoclassical buildings. Also very quiet.

If it's still available I would recommend it.

As for hand held showers and throwing toilet paper in a waste basket all I can say is When in Greece do as the Greeks do!

Posted by
2494 posts

Janet- Yes, my husband does seem to have a bit of inflexibility about showers but fortunately it seems to be confined to that. He did fine, for example, with waste basket for toilet paper. You certainly have traveled more to Greece than I have but we did not stay in chain hotels on our previous trip and did have some "standard" showers. And not all the "Greek" showers had hooks on the wall, which is what really bothered my husband. Anyway, we have to sort through it, which is why I want to have a variety of possibilities to discuss with him.

I see in your option 2 that you stayed 2 nights in Falassarna at Petalida hotel. We have been considering staying 2 nights in Kissamos. Is Falassarna a better location? We want to visit the beach there but also Bali and perhaps Elafonisi. I will also look at Elon area you suggested.

Posted by
2494 posts

Tommy,

I actually was looking at the ijason last night! Do you remember which room you had? I definitely would want one with a balcony.

And I agree with you about when in Greece do as the Greeks do. I am still working on my husband....

Posted by
1370 posts

Hi Beth when you mentioned wanting to visit Balii beach I suspect you meant to say Balos. Bali is a resort town just west of Heraklion.
Balos lagoon is near Kissamos.

Since we are discussing Greek bathrooms. Many basic lodgings have small bathrooms with a toilet, small sink and a shower over a small depression for the drain. Some even have a thin shower curtain.. When you shower in one of those, water goes everywhere. We have learned to remove all the toilet paper from the room before starting to shower. On more than one occasion I have heard the shower start and a few seconds later a slightly damp toilet roll flying out of the bathroom. I am sure most visitors to Greece have a toilet tale or two to talk about.

Posted by
3320 posts

To revert back from plumbing to hostelries, yes do take a look at Iason... as for balconies, the website will mention if there is one... I think only the street-level rooms do not have one.

As for the west, I DO definitely suggest Falassarna AND Hotel Petalida - https://www.petalida-crete.com/MainE.html It's on the bluff above the beach, so gorgeous views. Main bldg has big porch... but there r 2 1-story annexes across the parking lot, with open terraces on same view; that's what we had, and it was Paradise. Palm trees framing the sunset. aaah. It's run by 4-5 sons/daughters of owners - 14 yrs ago they were age 20-28 or so.. they'll all be mid-age now! Locals considered their D-room the best seafood place in area. There r a couple other hotels n same road, but not same vibe. You just walk 200 yards & you're in a gorgeous roman-era ruins overlooking sea... with chickens peckng around it! BTW, the Aegean has no tide, nor tide-driven surf... but Falassarna has lovely (mild) waves 24/7 because of wind - its the farthest-west point in all of Greece, and wind comes unhindered 400 miles all the way from Spain (!)

As for Kissamos, it's a totally Greek town, friendly but no tourism; local beach is pebbly, 14 years ago no "holiday hotels" evident. We had lunch at a cafe, fun eavesdropping on local greek teens flirting. Best encounter was in hardware store. Two mustachio'd guys at counter drinking coffee, zippo English but very jolly; I wanted a thermos, but they decided to spend 20 minutes trying to sell me a gun -- debating advantage of shotgun vs rifle, offering trial of heft, aiming, etc. Never laughed so hard. BTW, fun sessions like this in ordinary Greek shops anywhere, when you venture outside the tourist sstreets. In 2013 i sent 3 companions to Naxos "local shopping streets" in their search for Greek-motif bathmats. They were gone for 2 hours... turned out they were in 2 shops, where owners had v. little Engish but lots of goodwill & they ended up having coffee together.

Posted by
3320 posts

A bonus answer to a previous question (visiting Balos); On trip advisor, someone staying at Falassarna right now inquired about an excursion boat to BALOS, and a Crete local said yes, there are such boats. Ta-da! U could go from there instead of chania. Online research needed, sounds like a nice option.

Posted by
1370 posts

We have taken that excursion twice. Its a large ferry which has capacity for hundreds of people and departs Kissamos around 10 am and returns around 5. I also found a company in Kissamos that has a bus that takes the gravel road to Balos. I suspect that is a spectacular trip. Most rental companies contracts exclude the drive to Balos because of the rough road. Thats why I was looking for a transfer service.

Posted by
3320 posts

stanbr, the TA info I referred to was NOT about the excursion from Chania to Balos... but instead from Falassarna to Balos. I don't believe you've yet been to Falassarna. Research appreciated!

Posted by
2494 posts

Stan-yes, my husband had the shower room experience in Nafplio! Except he wasn't so fast at figuring it all out and soaked to his dismay his clothes as well as the toilet paper!

And yes, I was talking about Balos as you gathered. I was thinking of taking the ferry there rather than driving because it just sounded prettier. Have you been down the road as well?

Janet--there are hotels in Kissamos now, at least according to booking.com. Will look into Falassarna and excursion boat too.

Posted by
3250 posts

Adding another Chania hotel to the mix…we had a great 5 night-stay at Porto Veneziano Hotel.

Posted by
1157 posts

Beth: It was back in 2014 when I went to Crete and at that time there really wasn't any "names" for the rooms.

I think ownership may have changed as going to the website recently it looks a lot more "dressed up" so can't say for sure.

However at the time the room was in back of the building overlooking a small lane with views of neoclassical buildings.

From the "new" photos it looks like it was the Rose Room but it's far more upscale than when I was there so it also may be more expensive back in 2014 when I paid 30 euros a night.

It still may be worth checking it out

Posted by
2494 posts

Sharon--Thanks for the suggestion- I am still collecting possibilities.

Tommy-Using iason's web site for the Rose room for fall, it appears the cost is about 40 Euros--nonrefundable rate. You can't buy refundable directly through web site. Thought you might find that interesting!

Posted by
1157 posts

Beth:

Most accommodations will offer a refundable room but usually at a higher cost.

If you contact them directly and ask you may get a refundable ticket. Maybe tell them this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and heard so many good things about your place and really would like to stay there.

I find dealing directly with a owner is sometimes a good way to get to know them and maybe get a refundable room. Doesn't hurt to ask.

However, May/June 2022 is a long way off and anything can happen so it is something you may have to consider booking.

Posted by
2494 posts

Tommy-I have reserved refundable rates through hotels’ website. Had to cancel in 2020 because of pandemic. But not so keen on asking for something hotel has decided for whatever treason not to offer as a choice.

And yes, it is early. But so fun to be planning.

Posted by
1157 posts

I wouldn't be shy about asking about refundable rooms.

Most Greeks are willing to work with guests but if you feel uncomfortable about it it's understandable.

Just be optimistic that you will be going and Covid will be much better controlled not only in Greece but everywhere!

Be a glass half full person rather than a glass half empty one!

Posted by
2494 posts

I went to the doctor today and one of the questions was whether I had been out of the country in last 30 days. I had returned from Italy less than 30 days ago. The nurse then started asking me about traveling in Europe right now. She told me how she wants to go but is scared. I told her safer than being in U.S., particularly Florida (bar is very low). Much more interesting than discussing my health history!

I am definitely feeling glass half full after being able to take a trip to Italy this August that I successfully planned in 6 weeks involving seven people.

But had to cancel this trip in 2020. Fortunately, the only money we lost was advance purchased train tickets. But that was just lucky. At that time, I didn't think twice about having nonrefundable rooms. We just happened to have them.