Please sign in to post.

Crete

Has anyone travelled to Crete in the month of August? We are scheduled to travel there on September 16 and would like to get any feedback about what is closed (restaurants/shops) and what is open.

Posted by
3115 posts

Everything tourist-related will still be open until at least the end of September, if not later.

Posted by
11056 posts

We were there late September through mid October and everything was open. We stayed in Chania with is a small city so not terrible affected. There was a noticeable drop in number of tourists though which was good for us..

Posted by
34 posts

We will be there next week I will update you when we get there.

Posted by
65 posts

We were in Crete July 1st-July 7th. We did all the basic tourist stuff: chains, Heraklion, several day trips to beaches (including Balos Lagoon), Knosos palace (and museum) and lots of restaurants and I don’t remember anything being closed. The locals were so happy to have tourists So they were pretty easy going about masks. We never felt at risk (we are all vaccinated) as we were outside almost the entire vacation except when sleeping. Every restaurant meal was outside. Enjoy Crete

Posted by
15560 posts

A friend spent a week based in Chania in August 2019. She recommended it so I went in October, my last trip to Europe before Covid. On comparing notes, the only real difference was the weather. We didn't try to estimate tourist crowds however.

I considered going back this spring, but when I checked local conditions (on tripadvisor forums), the Covid restrictions meant that most everything was closed. That would be my only concern - whether cafes, restaurants and sights are open.