Please sign in to post.

Crete

This is what I think I want to focus on: beaches in the south and west.
I am thinking of driving:
#1) Sfakia and Loutro (ferry, of course)
#2) Kissamos, Gramvousa, Balos Lagoon, Falasarna, Elafonisi, Paleochora

Please comment and add suggestions.
Thank you!

Posted by
11169 posts

Falasarna- big waves, reminded us of California or Cape Cod ocean beaches.Big beach. No food sold there or it wasn’t open when we went.
Elafonisi- magical, turquoise waters, shallow far out, pink sand, reminded us of Bahamas.
Loutro- small beach area, nice water for swimming, more like a bay. Loved being in this small town. Stayed in Hotel Porto Loutro by the water which was good.

Posted by
1226 posts

Elafonisisi - crowded, didn't warm up when we were there - early July - until noon (could have been a fluke but we arrived at 10a to beat the crowds and sat under a blanket)/ There is food. And I recommend wading out beyond the main beach area to the "island" beach area

Loutro - the beach in town is small but you can hike or take a water taxi to another beach west of Loutro called Marmara, where the Imbros gorge comes out to the sea. We hiked there in the morning and took a taxi back in the afternoon. Its a small secluded beach but popular, in a cove with lots of smaller coves. The hike is marked, so its easy to figure out. Took maybe an hour?
Here's pictures on TA: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1187644-d8385799-Reviews-Marmara_Beach-Loutro_Chania_Prefecture_Crete.html

We did not visit the others you mention. But if you plan on all of these, the drive to Paleochora and Elafonisi is almost identical. You might want to spend a night in Paleochora and one day there and one day at Elafonissi, or it will make for a long day. Gramvousa, Balos Lagoon and Falasarna can be a day trip from Chania, and then Sfakion and Loutro would be together as you have listed.