Please sign in to post.

Covid restrictions

We’re due to travel to Crete , but there is 9 in our party who haven’t been vaccinated. I understand at the moment that if your unvaccinated you gave to do a test before travel and again once you ate there . I was wondering if this is likely to change before April.

Posted by
6113 posts

Please ask them to do the locals that they will be interacting with a favour and get vaccinated.

With the latest variant Deltacron spreading rapidly and hospitalisations rising, no one knows what the situation will be in April. Keep watching.

Posted by
87 posts

Crete is among the most COVID-affected regions in Greece and it is currently increasing slightly.
In April, with the Easter holidays in Greece this will certainly not diminish.

Restrictions for the unvaccinated are unlikely to be lifted by April

Moreover it is not very safe to travel in a group with a mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

Covid tracking in Greece:
https://covid19.gov.gr/covid-map-en/

Posted by
1603 posts

I don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't the unvaccinated travelers be the ones asking these questions and finding out information for themselves???
And I agree with the other posters. Convince them to get vaccinated. Are you coming from the US? Are they even allowed to travel on a plane without being vaccinated?

Posted by
15 posts

Europe is spiking right now, including Greece. Expect delays and disappointments every step of the way if you're going to travel with the Unvaxxed.
We went to Puerto Rico over Christmas and every restaurant and public venue checked our vax cards and required masks. I imagine Greece will be the same.

Posted by
346 posts

This is from today from the site travel.gov.gr. It looks like,maybe, you don't need to be vaccinated if you get tested BUT:
a: I wouldn't be caught anywhere near an unvaccinated person if I could help it-just me -and more importantly-
b: you might not be allowed on the airplane, if you are flying or you might not be allowed back into the USA.

***B. Travellers arriving from Australia, Canada and the United States of America are permitted to enter Greece under the condition that they display one of the following:

a) Vaccination certificate (for those who have completed vaccination for COVID-19 at least fourteen (14) days before arrival) valid for 9 months after the completion of the basic vaccination and without time limit for travellers who have received the booster dose. The vaccination certificate must include the full name of the traveller as registered in the passport, the type of vaccine given, the number of doses and inoculation dates, or

b) Proof of recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection, issued 14 days after the day of the first positive COVID-19 test (PCR or Rapid Antigen test) and valid for 180 days thereafter, or

c) Negative molecular test for COVID-19 (PCR) performed up to 72 hours before the scheduled arrival, or negative Rapid Antigen test performed up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival.***

Posted by
2495 posts

Planes enforce rules of country you are traveling to. So you could get on a plane and go to Greece with negative covid test. Right now must have a negative covid test to come back to US whether you are vaccinated or not. So could go to and return from Greece with negative covid tests.

A different issue is what you will be allowed to do without vaccination. Europe has been much stricter than US with requiring proof of vaccination to travel on public transportation, enter tourist sites, and restaurants.

Personally, I think anyone who doesn’t want or can’t be vaccinated would be better off waiting a couple more years to travel overseas.

Posted by
5 posts

This is unlikely to change before April given the Easter holiday. They will only be able to do limited outdoor things and they will need to take a test to enter the outdoor areas in restaurants and archaeological sites.

Posted by
3 posts

If you have a letter of recovery within six months does it have to be translated into Greek?

Posted by
126 posts

Don’t know about the letter but most people here speak English.

The one thing I did want to bring up is the strong possibility that one of the group picks up COVID here and then that could open up a whole new can of worms.

We are in Athens now and when you are indoors eating or drinking no one will be masked. We are triple vaxxed but I’m still a little worried about potentially testing positive the day before we return to the US.

Posted by
211 posts

From what I have read you can test to get into the country if unvaccinated. Once there you can basically only go to grocery stores, bakeries, pharmacies and public transport unvaccinated and untested. Any other planes or ferries you have to test for. You can test to get into outdoor restaurants and churches. You will have to test every 48-72 hours. You can not test to get into any museums or archaeologic sites. You can look up the information for the Acropolis and it clearly states under 18 can not test to gain entry. The other information is on the US Embassy website for Greece.

I have no idea when this will change. I am watching but nothing yet.

Posted by
16 posts

We are in Athens now and have two VAX doses but no booster because we just had Covid recently. We did not get letters of recovery because of vagaries of requirements and we did a PCR to arrive in Greece.

We are facing problems of who will allow us indoors even with a new rapid test done every other day at local pharmacies. We confirmed we cannot get into museums today and fellow travelers have said they played dumb and were permitted in but we have been turned away from businesses three times in past 24 hours.

If you are not boosted, they make things difficult in Athens. We travel outside Athens over next few days and have been told that we should have less problems because of mostly outdoor activities. We shall see...

Posted by
299 posts

Glad to see this string. We are vacationing in Greece in May/June. Six adults, all boostered. From the people in Greece now, how are you establishing vax status? Are you showing a card or is there an app?

Posted by
16 posts

We have showed images of our vaccine card and many people do read the dates. Some say the booster must have been given less than 6 months from date of visit and other sites say booster is good “indefinitely”.

I have not seen or heard about an app (yet) for Americans to obtain a QR coat like the Europeans have.