Please sign in to post.

Covid

What is the current status there? I’m
Planning on coming with a friend but my hubby is worried about covid? I’m not seeing much on the internet. Should we be concerned? Are there a lot of restrictions? High level of cases/outbreaks? Thanks so much! I want desperately to go but it sure would ease my husband’s mind if I could share some good news on that front!

Posted by
8261 posts

There is a risk of Covid when traveling, just as there is a risk of Covid where you live. Traveling may bring different types of exposures. You will probably find yourself relying on public transport and eating in communal settings more than in your day to day life as well as visiting popular sites with many other travelers.

In addition to potential health concerns, you need to be willing to extend your trip/quarantine with little notice if you test positive for Covid prior to your return home. Many people are traveling without any issues. However, those who do test positive report it can be a frustrating and challenging experience.

Travel at this time is a very personal decision. I wish you the very best.

Posted by
7129 posts

Hi Nancy, I am in Cremona (Italy) now. Regardless of European country, I heard a few coughing people on the flight from Seattle to Amsterdam and also on the flight onward to Milan. Of course, that doesn’t mean they had Covid, and others not coughing could actually be the ones positive. Overall, have a risk plan in place that you’ve discussed ahead of time and then have a wonderful time, knowing you have thought things through.

Posted by
34 posts

You can find data on Covid on the site "our world in data" https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus . The rates are less than two months ago, but it's about the same as the US...assuming how the info gets reported is the same.

I've been in Greece for over two months now. Some people I've been around have had covid, just like in the US. People wear masks in crowded places, but some do not. Because so much activity is outside, and if there's a breeze blowing, there's a lower risk. I always wear a mask in the grocery store, in shops, in museums, on the bus/train, although some are not.

Posted by
38 posts

We're starting week #5 in Greece.

Masks, what masks?! Seems Greece has opened up to tourists and inviting them in. I put a mask on once and the gal in the shop said, don't worry about that! Ha.

Some are wearing them others are not, especially outdoors. I rarely see masks in outdoor tavernas. Staff have them on.

Ferries, museums, etc you are still required to wear masks. I always have mine in my back pocket just in case. I don't like to enter a place where I can't keep a distance so always use mine in that scenario. I am not worrying now like I worried in the planning for this trip.

I am vaxed and double boosted.

Posted by
32 posts

When traveling, you can stay low risk by focusing on outdoor activities, including eating outdoors, not going to packed indoor bars, and wearing a high quality mask in all indoor areas, especially in the airport, on the plane (especially while boarding, waiting for the plane to take off and when getting off the plane - the filtration isn’t on during these times), any public transportation, in stores, museums and other indoor areas. Also, make sure your vax and boosters are up to date and have travel insurance in case you’re stuck there since the US still requires testing to return.

Posted by
41 posts

Just returned from Greece. During May, masks required in museums and transit, but on June 1, that requirement was lifted. I continued to wear mask in museums and transit, and made a point of eating in outdoor restaurants -- easy to do in Greece! I check NYTimes for COVID numbers and they are about the same in Greece and US now.