Please sign in to post.

Chania, Crete

I will be spending three days in Chania and I'm looking for suggestions for things to do.

Posted by
3595 posts

We will be spending 6 nights in Chania during our upcoming trip, and I set that number because of all the attractions. There's a lot to do and see there. Specifics depend on your interests. Why not check a good guidebook or just go to TripAdvisor? Put in "Chania," and click on "Things to Do."

Posted by
1372 posts

In three days you will have sufficient time to wander the back alleys, climb one of the bastions on the city walls, enjoy the Venetian harbour find the Turkish section of town perhaps find the beach at Neo Chora and walk out to the lighthouse.

If you are still looking for something to do take the day excursion to Gramovossa and Balos. Two beaches and a pirate fortress on that boat trip.
Chania http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632117917828/

Posted by
1157 posts

Three days will give you a good experience for Chania, one of Greece's loviest waterfronts and Old Town. There are numerous areas to explore including the areas away from the waterfront (Splantzia) that most tourists don't go to

http://www.chania-crete-greece.com/chania-old-town-splantzia.html

If you run out of things to do (hard to believe) you can always take a short walk to the "new" town which is modern but still has lots of small shops including the Market Place filled with eateries and shops, rather than the big-box shops common in the US and elsewhere.

It also depends on when you'll be going: High Season will be really crowded but still OK, off-season will be more relaxing.

Stanbr's photos are always amazing, even though I have pretty much the same photos his perspective is always interesting and different and will give you a good reason to hang out in Chania.

Posted by
4 posts

Another question on Greece: if I fly from Santorini to Athens on one airlines is an hour enough time to catch my second flight on a different airlines to Berlin? I don't know how big the Athens airport is . I will be booking the flights separately due to cost .

Posted by
3122 posts

Booking separate flights suggests separate baggage drop-off and collection. If this is what you face then 1 hour is definitely NOT enough time, even though the airport is well-designed. If you can establish that your bags will be forwarded for you then yes, 1 hour is enough time AS LONG as there were no delays in your Santorini departure time. Really, it's best to give yourself a wider window of opportunity for catching an ongoing flight.

Posted by
4 posts

We will have carry on luggage only. So it sounds like it's doable as long as the Santorini flight is on time?

Posted by
3122 posts

Technically, yes. But ask yourself, is it worth the headache and extra expense if you miss that flight?