Please sign in to post.

car rental on Crete

Are there any dos/don'ts for renting a car on Crete? I noted that International Driver's permits are not required in Greece. Can we rent a car in Chania after arrival, or should it be reserved??

Posted by
2505 posts

I would reserve ahead. We rented from a local company Auto rental-Crete and had a really good experience. They met us at bus station in Chania with the car and we returned it to Heraklion at the airport.

Another local rental agency is Anna’s.

Posted by
85 posts

I second renting from Anna’s. Have rented from them around 8 times and never had an issue including one time when we accidentally put tractor diesel in the tank instead of regular diesel (oops) and another time when the car was broken into and window smashed (super unusual for Crete). Have also had good experiences with Zorbas.

Posted by
1376 posts

We also have used Autorental Crete. It is locally owned and provides great service. There are about 7 locally owned rental agencies in Crete. The all have good reputations. Large big name agencies while fine, the local companies will work hard for your business.

Posted by
812 posts

We rented from "AutoClub" car rentals and had a horrible experience. The vehicle was in poor condition; broke down; and it took almost 24 hours for them to bring us a replacement. Customer service was extremely poor; I would avoid them at all costs.