Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Greece

Will need a car for 4 days in Mykonos, 4 days in Santorini, and 2 days on the Peloponnese. I have my Int'l DL and CDW with my credit card, but still have some questions regarding renting in Greece.

Has anyone ever rented from Pop's Cars a RS recommended company before? How was your experience?

We typically rent from Sixt which has cars for 15 less a day than Pop's. Ever agency I look at online has bad reviews on service. Any recommendations for who to use in each location?

Thanks!
L

Posted by
3115 posts

For Santorini you can rent with confidence from Vazeos in Oia, Tony's in Firostefani and Motor Inn in Kamari Beach.

Posted by
7277 posts

We used Pop’s on our visit at Eastertime 2018. Their price was the best we’d gound, plus they had a location in Ermioni, which was convenient for picking up our rental car after coming from Athens and then the island of Hydra by ferry.

The staff at that office was slow, so picking up the car took a while. Not sure whether it was just that location, and other Pop’s offices might be faster with orereserved cars. They also didn’t have a map for getting out of town or the rest of The Peloponnese or Greece, just a local Ermioni map, so we had to find a bookstore that could sell us a map, and the owner had to go to his house several blocks away to get his “summer” supply of road maps, as they didn’t keep them on the shelves in winter and spring. So you may want to have your own navigation materials or systems, as Pop’s might not be much of a resource.

Turning in our car in Athens was quick and easy. Car was in good shape, too, so overall Pop’s worked for us, after an awkward pick up experience. If Sixt is $15 a day cheaper though, I’d probably use Sixt instead of Pop’s.

Posted by
61 posts

We rented from Pops in 2017 and highly recommend them. Picked up in Ermioni (yes, allow some time) after coming from Hydra and had our car for nine days before turning it in near the Athens airport. Car was in good shape and rates were good. Would use them again if we return to Greece and drive.

Posted by
7277 posts

Well, we’re heading to Crete in 2 months and I just looked up Pop’s for our second Greek trip. They only do 1-way rentals in certain places (including Ermioni to Athens, so it worked for us last year), but not on islands. And for Crete, they appear to charge about double what others are charging, and also more for an added second driver, so Pop’s will probably not be our rental company this time.