Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Greece

I have read some posts here and have done some research online but I am still not sure what rental car companies require in terms of insurance. It looks like third party liability is required (and included in the price) but am I required to purchase the Collision Damage Waiver (which also is included in the price)? Our credit card offers coverage but only if we decline the rental car company's collision insurance. Some posts here have indicated that they have been able to decline the collision insurance. What is your experience? Thanks.

Posted by
7346 posts

With Pop’s Car Rental in 2018, we had no coverage mandated by their company, and went with the coverage our Visa provided. We didn’t need to file any claim, fortunately, but weren’t required to pay for insurance thru Pop’s. They had the best rental rate, too.

Posted by
3121 posts

For me it makes the best sense to take out whatever added coverage a rental company offers. That way you won't have to pay for any damages on site and then deal with putting in a claim with your credit card company later, then finding out after the fact they don't cover you after all. Make sure you bring an International Driving Permit, even though they're no longer required. Some rental companies still ask for them. Also, if you don't have one your credit card company could invalidate their insurance by claiming you were driving illegally. This might be a 'stretch' but.......better safe than sorry.

Posted by
35 posts

Many of the car rentals in Greece " include" the necessary insurance in their rental agreement. I always find that is the easiest way to make sure you are covered and not having to choose which options. This is especially true on Crete and in Athens. We have always gone with the family run businesses and not the big international companies.