Please sign in to post.

Batteries

This may be a dumb question, but what is the availability of buying AA batteries in Europe? Specifically Greece, Italy, and Spain. I will be going on study abroad for a month and my camera takes AA batteries. I’m wondering where they sell them abroad or if I should just bring a few sets from home. Thanks

Posted by
3941 posts

They should be easy to find. When we went to Rome the first time I thought my camera took AAA and packed a bunch. Of course, it took AA’s. The closer to a tourist sight, the more expensive they were, to the point where I paid something like 8€ for a 4 pack by the colosseum but a few blocks away someone had them for half that. Def look for them at a store as opposed to someone on the street.

You could look into getting some rechargeable. I finally got some (I had 8 total and the charger charged 4 at a time) and they’d be fine to get me thru a day.

Posted by
3941 posts

If you do go with rechargeables (I did because my camera burned thru reg batteries) - just check your camera settings. Mine had a setting under batteries for either reg ones or the NiMH rechargeable. Not sure if that is even a thing now on cameras, as this was a camera (Fuji superzoom) I had 6 yrs ago. My 2 subsequent cameras have taken the Lithium batteries.

Posted by
5835 posts

My older P&S took AA batteries, a benefit in that AA batteries are easy to get. However, as others noted, they tend to be a lot more costly than buying a large quantity package at a local US store. More of a problem for me was that the AA alkaline and NiMh rechargeable batteries had a short life in cold weather. I switched to Lithium AA batteries, and carried spares. The Lithium AAs lasted a long time (many shots) and worked better in cold weather.