Please sign in to post.

Athens to Nafplio

Hello,

1) Does anyone have experience with the bus from Athens to Nafplio? We would appreciate hearing your advise on how to do and how it was. We are a party of 2 in our late 50s.

2) Has anyone used a private transfer between Athens and Nafplio that you would recommend? Approximately how much did it cost?

3) Do you have any recommendations for hotel in Nafplio?

Thank you!
Chuck E

Posted by
3122 posts

The KTEL buses from Athens to Nafplio are inexpensive (about €15), modern, comfortable, efficient and frequent, at least one per hour from the Kifisson Bus Terminal. The trip takes just over 2 hours.

Monday

06:15 (Z) - 08:00 - 09:30 - 10:30 - 11:30 - 12:30 - 14:00 (Z) - 15:30 - 16:30 - 17:30 - 18:30 - 20:00 - 21:30 (G)

Tuesday to Thursday

06:15 (Z) - 08:00 - 09:30 - 11:00 - 12:30 - 14:00 (Z) - 15:30 - 16:30 - 17:30 - 18:30 - 20:00 - 21:30 (G)

Friday

06:15 (Z) - 08:00 - 09:30 - 11:00 - 12:30 - 13:30 - 14:30 (Z) - 15:30 - 16:30 - 17:30 - 18:30 - 19:30 - 20:30 - 21:30 (Z)

Saturday

07:30 (Z) - 08:30 - 09:30 - 10:30 - 11:30 - 12:30 - 14:00 (Z) - 15:30 - 17:00 - 18:30 - 20:00 - 21:30 (Z)

Sunday and Holiday

07:30 (Z) - 09:00 - 10:30 - 12:00 - 13:30 - 15:00 (Z) - 16:30 - 17:30 - 18:30 - 19:30 - 21:00 - 22:30 (Z)

Posted by
6 posts

We are arriving too late in the day to be comfortable with getting to the bus station in time for the last buses. I researched transfers and found these companies:
George: €240 (!)
Welcome: €200
My Day Trip: €130
Greek Taxi: €150

My Day Trip started in Eastern Europe and gets good reviews there, but I couldn’t find any reviews for Greece so I booked with Greek Taxi, the company recommended by the Visit Nafplio website. They have been easy to work with. Not cheap, but if we went into Athens for the night we’d probably spend more, plus we’d lose one night in Nafplio.

http://www.visitnafplio.com/

http://www.greek-taxi.gr/

We booked the Agamemnon Hotel. It’s not fancy but it’s highly recommended and we booked a sea view room, 5 nights €403. We booked on Booking.Com. I read somewhere that the hotel is undergoing renovations but not sure when. We’re going in October, 2020.

Hope this helps.

Posted by
3320 posts

marenc, tell us the EXACT time y our plane lands, and we'll tell you whether catching the last bus in chancey ... there are a lot of us who have made this trip before. BTW, I am not sure why you were so astonished at €240 ($260 USD) charge for a one-way car service to Nafplio.... it is 105 miles. I just checked a similar distance -- Seattle to Ellensburg WA 107 miles, and the main car service from Seattle airport charges $300 for that trip. If you want help gettting to the bus, give us the needed info, otherwise just bite the bullet an dget a car servcie.

Posted by
985 posts

I took the bus from Athens to Nafplio in October 2018. I took a bus from the airport to Athens, then walked to the bus station. The buses are modern with nice fabric covered seats. I remember buying my bus ticket inside a building and then waiting for the bus in an adjacent area covered with a roof but open to the outside. Passengers were waiting near the opening of a parking-garage-like structure, on a sidewalk next to a driveway. There were very few seats under the roof where the bus would pull up. The driver drove the bus on the driveway, stopped, checked tickets; bags that are not very small are stored in a compartment on the bottom of the bus. The buses are built with a restroom, but Greek bus organization does not let passengers use it, they always keep it locked, probably because they don't have the resources, time, money, and/or knowledge to clean it and empty the waste-holding tanks. The bus station is not a fancy place but it was totally worth waiting there to avoid the cost of a taxi to Nafplio. I don't remember the cost but 15 euros sounds about right. Also there was a working automatic teller machine about 30 feet from where the bus pulled up, and at least 2 cafes, which were not open where I was there, but I was there on a Sunday. Make sure you figure out where the bus will pull up to right after you buy your ticket. You don't want to be sitting in the indoor part of the station and then realize you have only 5 minutes before the bus leaves but you have no clue where the bus will be.

Posted by
6 posts

Janet, I must have been looking at the wrong timetable. If the times above are correct for October, then we’d have at least 2 buses we could get. Of course now my husband likes the idea of a transfer after our 17+ hour trip so I’m just going with it. We’ll take the bus back to Athens though.

Re: George taxi. It is a long trip to Nafplio but I didn’t expect such a wide range of prices. George just seems to charge more for their services. They quoted me €55 from the airport to Athens (before midnight). The Herodion Hotel quoted me €45, which is higher than the flat rate of €38 but seems like a more reasonable mark-up. I guess when it comes to taxis and transfers, there’s something for everyone.

I will come back with a review of Greek Taxi. They’re based in Nafplio so we’ll probably book them for a day trip too.

Posted by
3320 posts

Marenc, George charges more because it got famous through free publilcity from the well-known Matt Barrett website "Greek Travel" --- one of the first very comprehensive websites with photos, about all aspects of Greek travel - food, islands, beaches etc etc. Matt writes very well & gives lots of good info, but he DOES have (undisclosed) relationships with many places & services he praises. One was "George the Taxi Driver"... once just one guy... but who got so much business espceically from Americans that he became a huge Fleet of taxis, with all drivers claiming "yes, I'm the real George." You know how it is -- the brand-name product charges more than the unknown-name product.

Anyway, despite our efforts to save u some $$, your hubby is wanting to pop for car & driver... so be it.

Posted by
1371 posts

Have you considered renting a car at ATH and driving to Nafplio? You'd have more flexibility and could visit the sites around Nafplio more easily. I'm planning to make the same drive in late May and am comfortable driving in Greece outside of central Athens (have done it before). I'm also searching for a Nafplio hotel and there appear to be a lot of good choices.

Posted by
1157 posts

I wouldn't recommend renting a car and driving to Nafplio after such a long flight. My flight is not as long as that but it's still long and if I can't make connections for transfer to my final destination in a reasonable amount of time I'll stay in Athens.

Driving after along flight can almost be as bad as driving after drinking and if you've never driven in Greece before it may be even worse!

The cost of a taxi is way beyond my means but if you can afford it that may be your best option if you want to get to Nafplio ASAP.

By the way I've used the bus from Athens to Nafplio and it is very good. Nice bus and pretty scenery once you get off the main highway. That was a few years back so I'm not sure if the "new" road is all highway now.

Posted by
1373 posts

Another private transfer company not yet mentioned is Athens City cab. I think they may have changed their name to just City cab. We have used them several times for transfers to our hotel and back. They charge 38 euros for the trip from the airport to central Athens. That is the same as a taxi. The difference is their drivers speak English. They keep track of your flight and will be at arrivals doors after you pick up your bags and do passport control. They help you with your bags to the car.
I know they do transfers to Nafplio. They also have a service where they drive you and your rental car to your destination. They have a good web site. It will be worthwhile to get a quote from them.

Posted by
808 posts

If you like more of a bed and breakfast experience, then I recommend Aetoma Hotel. Beautiful rooms, amazing breakfast and service from Pan & Akis that will ensure you have a memorable stay. True Greek hospitality!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks, Stanbr, I’ve emailed City Cab for a quote.

As far as renting a car, we have reluctantly decided to stop driving in Europe, although it has always been our favorite way to travel. We love the freedom, but not the stress.

So, we’ll use a transfer service to get to Nafplio and then take the bus back to Athens. Looking forward to riding the bus during daylight.