Please sign in to post.
Posted by
2705 posts

Athens is easy to navigate by walking and taking public transportation. Spend $14 on Rick Steves Pocket Guide to Athens. The walks are clearly described and it has the maps you need.

Posted by
3961 posts

Can't speak to HOHO bus. We found Athen's to be a walkable city to visit sites. Your hotel is centrally located. We stayed at Hotel Hera. It's 2 minutes from your hotel. A couple of great resources are Rough Guide to Greece and RS Greece Guide. End of September early October should be lovely.

Posted by
7534 posts

I guess I can't think of too many sights outside of central Athens, maybe the Archaeological museum, but that is one trip. The rest of the sights are probably faster seen on foot than sitting in traffic. The bus you linked goes to some beaches, if that is your interest, but there are probably other tour options that would be a better value.

Posted by
3319 posts

I took it once as "research" before friends of mine arrived. Very frustrating, because so many of the streets surrounding the major landmarks are no-cars streets... so the hop on/hop off bus is restricted to very heavy-traffic major streets lined with stores and apt houses... NOT what you are looking for! Waste of Time. Almost all the major highlights are clustered togther except the Natl. Arch. Museum which is straight up a major street, and easy taxi ride for 5-8E. If you want to cut back on your walking, a really good alternatiiv would be the cute little "choo-choo" the athens HAPPY TRAIN -- http://www.athenshappytrain.com it's a truck disguised as a train, with 4-5 open-side cars behind... similar to ones that go on boardwalks. It is allowed to go on the no-car 'streets" and winds all around the major sites. It is hop-on/hop-off, and not a long wait I think, because they come round every 40 minutes or so. Costs I think 5-6E. Could be your answer.