Please sign in to post.

Athens airport logistics

We fly into Athens on AA from New York JFK and depart several hours later on Sky Express to Naxos. I assume we go through customs upon landing and then have to re-enter terminal, go through security to get to gates for Sky Express flights. Any idea how much time to plan on this, I’m guessing 2 hours. Suggestions/comments would be helpful,
Thanks

Posted by
3319 posts

BTW, customs is a big nothing, you just walk by a sign that says "Nothing to Declare" -- the line is for Passport Control. And yes, 2 hours is about right, and your 2 flights are both in main terminal.

Posted by
1806 posts

Once you have passed the immigration controls, go up to the upper floor, Departures level.

With the Sky Express app you can have your boarding pass on your phone 48 hours before departure and go straight to the boarding gate (if you don't have checked baggage).

You will need to be at the boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your scheduled departure time

Posted by
1369 posts

The actual process is:
1 collect your bags.
2 go to passport control.
3 pass through the exit door Janet mentioned. You are now in public area of arrivals.
4 go up to the next level stairs elevator or escalator.
5 I presume you will have already printed your sky express boarding pass. They allow you to do that 48 hours before your flight. So all you have to do is drop off your luggage. You can go to the Sky express kiosk or as I recall there is a machine where you can print your own luggage tags.
6 right near that luggage tag machine you will see the bag drop off conveyor, drop your bags.
7 go to security. Athens airport has the most efficient security check process I have ever experienced.
8 head to your gate. You will likely have time for your first Mythos on the way.

Posted by
1806 posts

You will likely have time for your first Mythos on the way.

If you have the choice, ask for a Fix instead. :-))

Posted by
34 posts

This is very good info thank you. Do all domestic flights to the islands leave out of Hall B?

Posted by
1806 posts

Do all domestic flights to the islands leave out of Hall B?

Yes.

Hall A: International Non Schengen
Hall B: Schengen and Domestic

Posted by
1806 posts

2 beers I have not tried before, look forward to it

It's not just these two, try also the "56 Isles" from Paros island microbrewery.

But don't forget to take your flight! -:)