Please sign in to post.

Athens

I arrive in Athens on 26 December 7.00 PM
and return on 30th evening

I would like some advice on what to see, mode of travel, any day trips from Athens, etc.

Thank you

With Best regards,

Pradeep

Posted by
3044 posts

What is your interest? Museums and antiquities? There is more than enough to do for 3 days - Parthenon, National Archeological Museum.

Do you have the RS Athens book?

Posted by
35 posts

We would like to do historical sites
Would a trip to santorini be possible
What about nafplio

Posted by
11174 posts

Based on your other posts, you do have a predilection for a brisk pace.

There is a 910 PM flight to Santorini, so if your flight to Athens is on time you could continue on directly to Santorini. Return to Athens on the 28th and see a few of the major sites before your departure on the 30th.

Posted by
6498 posts

The way to save time and money is not to spend them on further travel beyond Athens. Visit the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, the National Archeological Museum, the Agora, Syntagma Square, the Plaka and Monastiraki areas, the Cycladic Museum, the Benaki Museum, the Kerameikos site and museum, and/or other historic and cultural attractions. Most of them are within walking distance of each other, and the Athens subway is convenient (take pickpocket precautions). Invest in a guidebook like this one to help you choose among the above and more.

Posted by
259 posts

Stay in Athens! Save the travel time and $$. If you can't find things to keep you entertained for 3 - 4 days, you aren't looking. After the Acropolis & the museums, wander the Plaka, visit the Monastiraki area, go to the Central Market. Save the islands for when you have more time, They are not for rush-rush visits.

Posted by
1603 posts

I agree with larry42. The fish market and meat market are fascinating. The flea market is very interesting, too. Watch the Changing of the Guard at Parliament.