Please sign in to post.

Athens

We arrive in Athens @ 12:15 and probably will be at hotel by 2. After grabbing a bite to eat, what activities do you recommend to do? Trying to acclimate to new time. Want to do something from 3-6, have dinner and go to bed @ 8.

Posted by
1032 posts

Personally, I wouldn't do the Acropolis or anything you want to remember while you are recovering from jet lag, although I do find that being outside on the first day helps to acclimatize. Consider either a stroll down the Plaka, or a walk through the underrated National Gardens, which are just beside the Parliament Building on Syntagma Square.

Posted by
3961 posts

When we arrived in Athens what worked well for us was staying outdoors. We walked a short distance to Mars Hill for the stunning view and also walked the Plaka…. We had dinner at nearby Mani Mani (our favorite restaurant).
https://www.manimani.com.gr/en/

Posted by
2494 posts

I love Mani Mani but it would have been wasted on us on day of arrival!

Posted by
3320 posts

OK Beth & Janis, you know I have sensible answers... and I believe I have the PERFECT no-effort activity that will help get these weary travelers oriented ... fun & cheap and NO walking! -- The Happy Train! http://www.athenshappytrain.com/ As the illustration shows, it's got a Choo-Choo frontage (over a ?tractor? body) and 3 open-air carriages on rubber wheels... it tootles all around the Major landmarks of Central Athens in 40 minutes.. and you can hop on/hop off at any stop, because another Happy Train comes along in 40 minutes. It starts from Syntagma Square -- BUT you can begin y our ride at any of the stops. AND it takes you to a couple of places -- such as the historic Panethenic Stadium, that would be a hike too far on Day 1, for jet-weary travelers.

The BEST feature is, because it's legally not a "car" it's allowed on "no-cars" lanes in the Plaka district, so you can get up close to famous sites, UNLIKE the hop-on/off busses (avoid them!) which spend much of their time stuck in traffic on large avenues, while you stare up at office buildings. Website shows exact Happy Train circuit & boarding stops... No reservations needed, fare is just €5 ... if you get off to check out a site or two, you can while away 2 hours, then have that early dinner and collapse for the night.

Posted by
2948 posts

Try walking the Acropolis loop but visit the Acropolis after a good night’s sleep. You need lots of energy when visiting museums. Rick Steves guidebook will have more information about it.