Please sign in to post.

Advice on travelling to Greece in early December?

Hello, what can I do in Greece for 1 week?
I'm getting lost as I search. This will be my first trip to Greece. I will go to Athens and from there I will return home.

I will not be able to rent a car there. I will use public transport. Athens 2-3 days OK but after What can I do ?

Posted by
2335 posts

In Athens, the weather can still be bearable at this time of year, but the chances of it being cold and wet and feeling colder than it actually is are high. I would go further south, e.g. to the south coast of Crete or Rhodes. On smaller islands, the tourist infrastructure is already very reduced at this time of year

Posted by
1388 posts

I would stick to the mainland. Winds can be high in December and ferries delayed. You could fly to, for example, Crete but you then lose a lot of time travelling to airports and sitting in departure lounges.

One of the best options, and a favourite of many of us here, is Nafplio. It’s around two and a half hours by bus from Athens and buses are frequent throughout the day. The centre of the town is pedestrianised, it has a great walk round the headland and a massive Venetian castle. There’s a very good range of restaurants and bars.

A lot of good information here

http://www.visitnafplio.com/

Have a great trip. I really like Greece in December when everywhere is quieter.

Alan

Posted by
6418 posts

You can spend more than 2-3 days in Athens without a problem. But if you want to go somewhere else, I'm going to suggest Thessaloniki that is far too overlooked by people visiting Greece, and easy to reach by train from Athens.

Posted by
1823 posts

Thessaloniki is less than an hour from Athens by flight, and around €60 in December (around 10€ more expensive than the train)

At Thessaloniki airport there is a bus that takes you to the city center.

Athens to Thessaloniki trains are running by buses on the Lianokladi-Thessaloniki section, which is why the journey is longer than usual

Posted by
6418 posts

Thessaloniki takes 7 hours by train, I think. Is that tiring?

Normally around 3:30 when there isn't bus replacement. But that makes Thessaloniki a less appealing destination.

And I'm still curious why you're worried about spending more than 2-3 days in Athens.