Please sign in to post.

3 Weeks in Greece

Our nephew is marrying a woman from Cyprus and we are going late Sept . My wife and I plan to be in Cyprus for approx one week, then Greece for about 3 weeks. Would like to spend time on a island en route from Cyprus to Athens. Thinking of flying Cyprus to Crete or Rhodes. Based on what I've read so far, 7-8 days in Crete seems good. Planning to rent a car. We like to travel slow, so thinking 3-4 days in Chania, then 3-4 days on SW coast of Crete. Then fly Crete to Athens, spending 3 nights there. Friends have recommended road tripping to Delphi then to Meteora. Is there enough to see/do in this part of Greece for 10 days? Or better to see these 2 sites in 4 days or so then head south to the Peloponnese? Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Posted by
4412 posts

Of course, but whether it is of interest to you is a different matter. I had a trip planned for the north that was cancelled by the pandemic (still plan to do it one day). I was interested in the Pelion peninsula, Vergina, and Thessaloniki, plus Meteora which you already have on your list. I have found the Bradt Guides the best for both mainland Greece and the Peloponnese.

Posted by
1376 posts

Happy to see you are taking the opportunity to visit Greece.
In my opinion there is way more to do and see in Crete then Rhodes. Crete takes a month to see and experience most of it. Its best to choose one section of it and explore fully as you plan to do.
You can make Chania your base and explore the west side from there. You might consider the excursion boat to Balos lagoon. You get a shipwreck, two lovely beaches and a pirate fortress on the excursion. The boat departs from Kissamos about a 45 minute drive from Chania,

When we leave Chania we normally go south to Paleochora or Sougia. Paleochora is larger but Sougia is a lovely small village highlighted with mountains the sea and some sea caves along with three of the best tavernas anywhere. Its quite laid back and the bonus is you can take the coastal ferry to Agia Roumeli where you can do the famous Samaria gorge hike from the bottom which is the flattest portion of the hike.

If you want to stay there you might want to look for a hotel sooner than later.

Delphi and Meteora are great sites and you will not be disappointed. They are a 5 hour drive apart.
You might want to consider Delphi and Nafplio. They are closer together. Nafplio is a lovely seaside city. Be sure to find a hotel in the old town.

There are several important ancient sites within a short drive of Nafplio.