Please sign in to post.

3 days in Athens in October 2023

We are in Athens in October for 2 and 1/2 days at the start of a cruise and then another 1 1/2 at the end. There are 3 of us, all seasoned travelers. We are spending a couple of days in Athens, but would like a day trip out of the city. What recommendations would you have. Also looking for suggestions of sites within Athens that are worth seeing, but maybe not on the tourist sites.

Posted by
11169 posts

Napflion, was of Greece’s most beautiful small cities.
In Athens, the Cycladic museum is unique, a must see.

Posted by
856 posts

We went into the ancient forum at opening time and followed the Rick Steve’s audio guide. There was very few people there and the on site museum was very interesting. We also visited the Benaki museum, which is very nice, but under-visited, and we also took the funicular up Lycabetus hill. There is a cute little church up top, and a good restaurant where you can sit by a window and look over Athens. You can also see across to the Acropolis, and I got some good photos with my zoom lens.

Posted by
1823 posts

The big problem is that if you organize a day trip you won't have much time left to see Athens with these 2 ½ days and 1 ½ days.

Without a daytrip you will barely have time to visit Athens' main sites. So you will have to make choices, especially if you also want to see less touristy places.

Posted by
1158 posts

I don't think you'll even have enough time to explore Athens let alone a day trip outside the city.

There's more than enough to see in Athens, touristy and non-touristy for several day easily.

This website may help you figure out what you want to see in Athens. It will amaze just what Athens has to offer:

https://www.athensguide.com/