Please sign in to post.

International drivers license?

We plan to rent a car on Andros. Will we need an international driver's license or will our US license be enough? Do you recommend the full insurance?

Thank you.

Posted by
33128 posts

There is no such legal thing as an International drivers license, and any sold on line are scams.

Greece is one of the many countries requiring an International Drivers Permit for non EU drivers. If you are from Omaha in the USA you will require one unless you have an EU drivers license.

You can get one valid for a year for $15 plus 2 passport photos (take them in or they will take your picture there) from a AAA office.

Posted by
4535 posts

An International Drivers Permit is required to legally drive in Greece and many of the rental agencies will require it to rent you a car. AAA is the authorized dealer of IDP's in the US. You will also need your regular state license; the IDP is just a supplement.

Greece is known for being a risker place to drive. It all depends on your own insurance coverage, but I would recommend getting the CDW anyway for ease and piece of mind.

Posted by
3130 posts

There is no test or membership required to buy the IDP from your local AAA office. Bring 2 passport photos to save a few dollars.

Sometimes it’s possible to rent a car just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.
If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any and all damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)
Your insurance will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.
And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjuster handy.
Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.

Posted by
3130 posts

The potential repercussion of not taking out the local insurance is that if you do have the misfortune of getting into an accident the rental car company will automatically make all repair charges, both real and false, against your card, and there's a very good chance your CCs insurance claims department will do its very best to deny your claim if it is within their power. You will need iron-clad documentation for them, and if any charges are made that you did not cause you will have difficulty arguing against these charges unless the car rental company has an established reputation for having done this before. The more claims they can deny the more profits they make. If the rental car company is padding their claim, which is not uncommon, and you dispute it, you will entangle yourself in a real mess of you-said/they-said. Ask yourself if it's worth the aggravation. Be sure to take a lot of photos if the answer is yes.