I would really appreciate this community's input on our proposed itinerary for upcoming trip April 19-May 3 -- particularly number of nights to stay where and any hotel feedback. Should we just stick to Athens, Crete & Santorini or try to also go to Naxos?
Athens - 3 or 4 nights? (2 or 3 days);
Chania, Crete - 2 or 3 nights;
Iraklio - 2 nights;
Santorini - 2 nights;
Naxos - 2 nights
1) Thurs 4/19 Arrive Athens 5:50 pm / Athens Hotel: Phideas, Philippos, Home Sweet Home, Acropol?;
2) Fri 4/20 Parthenon, Acropolis Museum, Plaka etc / Stay in Athens
3) Sat 4/21 Natl Archeological Museum / Stay in Athens
4) Sun 4/22 Flea market? Museum of Cycladic Art? /Fly to Chania, Crete late tonight or early Mon?
5) Mon 4/23 Fly to Chania? Recommendations for places to visit? Stay in old town? Hotel options: Porto del Colombo, Elia Palazzo, Archontiki? Rent car at airport or when we leave town?
6) Tues 4/24 Hike gorge – Samaria or Imbros? / Stay in Chania
7) Weds 4/25 Rent car / Drive thru Rethymno to Iraklio / Visit Archaeological Museum: Stay Kronos or Olive Green Hotel ? Or stay out of town in small village such as Vlahiana (Villa Kerasia) or Archanes in wine country?
8) Thurs 4/26 Visit Knossos, wine country / Iraklio
9) Fri 4/27 Drop off car; Ferry to Santorini, visit Thira; Stay in Firostefani ara; Smarula Villa, Hotel Milos, Villa Firostefani?
10) Sat 4/28 Visit Akroteri; stay in Santorini (Firostefani)
11) Sun 4/29 Ferry to Naxos -- OR Should we just visit Crete/Santorini and skip Naxos?
12) Mon 4/29 Naxos
13) Tues 5/1 Naxos, Fly to Athens; stay near airport, Artemida?
14) Wed 5/2 Return home; Flight 6:30 am
Thank you in advance for your thoughts!