We have been planning to go to Santorini for probably a couple of weeks or so, as we have never been there and given borders has just been reopened etc
Originally, we were intending to go in middle of November this year to celebrate our wedding anniversary but I learnt that Nov is dead quiet and it would be ideal to go JUST before the season finish before end of Oct where the shops, restaurants will be mostly closed so decided to go in a fixed date between 20th to 28th Oct though ticket has not been purchased yet, so I would like to pan out the itinerary and see what you guys think of
(Fly Oct 20, arrive Greece on 21 Oct)
Day 1 - Departs at night and arrive Athens 21st Oct @ 1:30pm. First domestic flight from Athens to Santorini @ 2pm, obviously is not enough time, next flight is 4:30pm, so I will be opting to take this time catching Sky Express and should be enough time for 3 hours, no? Intend to stay overnight in Fira budget hotel x 2 nights. Walk at night Fira and enjoy sunset if enough time
Day 2 - Fira walk around the town, take photos, have meals, head to Imerovigli.... and possibly hike to Skaros Rock (if have time) OR hike from Fira to Oia and then take the bus back to Fira?
Day 3 - Check out (leave baggage). Take cable car and explore in Fira again (if not yet done the previous day). Then take bus to Oia around 3pm to check in at reasonable budget hotel x 2 nights. Enjoy sunset and dinner nearby
Day 4 - Explore full day in day in Oia, enjoy sunset and dinner nearby.
Day 5 - Check out. Then check in 2 x luxury hotel @ Oia. (I assume that the 1 full day exploring Oia in the previous day will be sufficient because most likely we will enjoy the pool, spa, caldera view etc and not go out!)
Day 6 - Relax in hotel, and possibly take away dinner at the luxury hotel in Oia
Day 7 - Check out at 11am. Rent a car and explore. If Fira was not enough on day 2/3, go back again. Or otherwise drive to Akoritiri Lighthouse, Redbeach, Pyrgos (to be honest, these few places are NOT a must but can't think of what to do). Otherwise, perhaps we will NOT rent a car and go for a day tour for a full day volcano/hot spring excursions? Then stay overnight in Santorini airport nearby
Day 8 (28th Oct) - Drop the car off in morning (if we intend to rent) @ airport as we have an international flight from Athens at 3pm, so will either take 8:30am (there are 2 x 8:30am flights in Aegean or Sky express ) and 10:30am (Volotea) flight to Athens. I assume 10:30am will be sufficient so that by the time we arrive Athens, will be 11:30am and given our international flight is 3pm, still have like 4 1/2 hours, no?
At the same time, I'd like to ask several questions if you do not mind please
1) Is that true that there won't be so many tourist in Oia and Fira given its near the end of the season as we are going end of Oct so it gives us a very big advantage?
2) Is the weather good in Oct?
3) Do you think Oct is a good time to go for off season? Or better if we go like in March or something?
4) Is that true that international driver permit is not needed anymore for Australians?
5) Is the Athens and Santorini airport big so I can navigate easily when departing/arriving?
6) I never drove a car steering wheel on the left hand side as I am used to driving the right hand side in Australia, I am not sure if it is good to drive first time like that especially I heard Santorini roads are very narrow, aggressive etc. Kinda worried in a way though I am a very experienced driver
Your feedback will be very much appreciated for whether the itinerary above is all good or anything that can be added or minus etc
Thank you very much in advance!!!