Please sign in to post.

Hotel near Athens airport

Greetings. We will be staying one night near Athens airport at the end of our RS tour in May. I've seen the Sofitel at the airport - rather pricey for our one night ($380!). Wondering if there are close by options that folks would recommend. Thank you!

Posted by
8382 posts

I just asked this question a few days ago. The answers were basically spend for Sofitel ( my rate was less than you are quoting), or simply stay in Athens and arrange for an early morning transfer through Welcome pickups. I decided to go with Sofitel, but I wouldn’t have at that price.

Posted by
205 posts

Have you considered Hotel Avra in Rafina?
It's nearer the airport than is Athens, it's reasonably priced and it has a free shuttle to and from the hotel.
When I visited Athens area in 2022, that equated to a BIG savings in terms of lodging for a night and transportation to get to the non-airport lodging.
I flew into Athens, took the shuttle to Rafina, slept, got up and took the shuttle back to the airport... all for the price of a room.

Posted by
268 posts

We too stayed at the Hotel Avra last Spring. We did not take the shuttle as we had a rental car that we needed to return to the airport the next morning. The ride to the airport was not long and was not congested.

The hotel itself was modern, reasonably priced, and a few minutes walk from the port area with seafood and other restaurants. So it doesn't feel like you are stuck at an airport hotel with nothing to do.

We opted for a sea view room to make it all the more pleasant. That upgrade was not much... I want to say 10-20 euros , but was well worth it as many of the other rooms face a road. Facing the water for sure makes you feel you are still on vacation . I belive we booked direct. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone. I saw the notes on Avra and your responses helped us to decide. We have booked that hotel. Appreciate the feedback.